Where Can I Find the Radial Velocity of the Sun Relative to Earth?

In summary, the question is about finding the radial velocity of the Sun with respect to the Earth, and it is different from the radial velocity with respect to the Local Standard Rest Frame. The radial velocity of the Sun with respect to the Earth varies throughout the year, with a maximum of 500 meters/sec and a minimum of 0 meters/sec. The value of 18 km/s mentioned by the person is the velocity of the Sun relative to the Local Standard Rest Frame.
Archduke
Hey,

Does anyone know where to find a value for the radial velocity of the Sun wrt the Earth? I've tried googling, but it always gives the radial velocity wrt the LSR.

Thanks muchly!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Since the Earth orbits the Sun in an eliptical orbit, the Sun's radial velocity with respect to the Earth would vary over the course of a year.

Hey, thanks.

Yes, I appreciate that, but I'm looking for a rough figure/time average, just to compare to my wildly inaccurate value obtained from labs.

Do you know anywhere where I can find this?

At its maximum it is about 500 meters/sec, and at its minimum 0 meters/sec. Minimums happen in Winter and Summer, maximums in Spring and Fall.

Ok, thanks a lot. :smile:

I guess my value of 18 km/s is a tiny bit out then! :rofl:

18 km/s is about the velocity of the Sun relative to the Local Standard Rest Frame, ie. the speed of the sun relative to the other stars in our region of the Galaxy.

1. What is meant by the "Radial Velocity of the Sun"?

The radial velocity of the sun refers to its motion along the line of sight relative to an observer on Earth. This can be measured by the Doppler effect, which shifts the wavelength of light emitted by the sun as it moves towards or away from us.

2. How is the radial velocity of the sun measured?

The radial velocity of the sun is measured using spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the spectrum of light emitted by the sun. By measuring the shift in the spectral lines, scientists can determine the radial velocity of the sun.

3. Why is the radial velocity of the sun important?

Studying the radial velocity of the sun allows scientists to track its movement and understand its dynamics. This can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the sun, as well as its interactions with other celestial bodies.

4. How does the radial velocity of the sun affect Earth?

The radial velocity of the sun does not have a direct impact on Earth. However, changes in the sun's velocity can affect its magnetic field and cause fluctuations in solar activity, which can indirectly impact Earth's climate and technological systems.

5. How has our understanding of the radial velocity of the sun changed over time?

Our understanding of the radial velocity of the sun has improved over time with advancements in technology and observational techniques. Early studies in the 19th century provided estimates of the sun's velocity, which have been refined and updated through ongoing research and observations.