Simultaneous Laplace transforms

In summary, the conversation is about a person who needs help solving a simultaneous Laplace transform problem. They start by describing the problem, x(0) and y(0), and the equations that result from them. They then provide a summary of the dx/dt and dy/dt equations. They mention that they're not sure where to go from here and ask for help. People on the forum provide help, telling the person how to solve the equations for x and y. They then use partial fractions to find the inverse Laplace transform of the variables. They finish by saying that the forum has been helpful and they recommend it to others.
hurcw
I have to try and solve the following simultaneous Laplace transform problem and don't really know which path to take can someone give me a nudge in the right direction please.

dx/dt=4x-2y & dy/dt=5x+2y given that x(0)=2, y(0)=-2
this is what i have so far for dx/dt=4x-2y
sx-x(0)=4x-2y
sx-2=4x-2y
(s-4)x+2y=2

And for dy/dt=5x+2y
sy-y(0)=5x+2y
sy+2=5x+2y
(s-2)y-5x=-2
Not really sure where to go from here, or even if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](s-4)X+2Y=2,5X-(s-2)Y=2.[/tex]
[tex]X=\frac{2s}{s^2-6s+18},Y=-\frac{2s-18}{s^2-6s+18}.[/tex]

Can you ellaborate a little please.
Where did this all come from?

##\begin{cases}(s-4)X+2Y=2&...(1)\\5X-(s-2)Y=2&...(2)\end{cases}##
##(s-2)\times(1)+2\times(2):((s-4)(s-2)+10)X=2(s-2)+4,##[tex]X=\frac{2s}{s^2-6s+18}.[/tex]
##5\times(1)-(s-4)\times(2):(10+(s-2)(s-4))Y=10-2(s-4),##[tex]Y=\frac{18-2s}{s^2-6s+18}.[/tex]

Thats great, thanks alot.
Just out of interest where has the 2s in X come from and the 18 - 2s in Y come from, i can work out the bottom lines. sorry if i appear stupid but it is 5.20am.
From there i can use partial fractions to determine the inverse Laplace transform (I think anyway).

I get the 2s & the 18-2s.
Am i correct in thinking these sre complex roots and by definition are quite complex to solve especially the 18-2s one.?
any help is appreciated

I need to then try and find the inverse Laplace transform of X & Y can anyone assist me in telling me if i am close with:-
X=2e^(-3t)*cosh3t
Y=e^(-18t)-2e^(-3t)*cosh3t

This forum has been more than helpful so far and is highy recommended

1. What are simultaneous Laplace transforms?

Simultaneous Laplace transforms are a mathematical tool used in solving systems of differential equations. They involve taking the Laplace transform of each equation in the system simultaneously, in order to find a solution that satisfies all of the equations.

2. When are simultaneous Laplace transforms used?

Simultaneous Laplace transforms are typically used when solving systems of linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

3. How do simultaneous Laplace transforms work?

The simultaneous Laplace transform of a system of equations is found by taking the individual Laplace transforms of each equation and setting up a matrix equation. This matrix equation can then be solved to find the solution to the system.

4. What are the benefits of using simultaneous Laplace transforms?

Simultaneous Laplace transforms can simplify the process of solving systems of differential equations, particularly those with constant coefficients. They also allow for the use of algebraic methods instead of complicated integration techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using simultaneous Laplace transforms?

While simultaneous Laplace transforms can be a useful tool, they are not always applicable to every type of system of equations. They may also yield complex solutions, which can be more difficult to interpret than real-valued solutions.