A is not square but rank(A) = rank(A') ?

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses the rank of a matrix A in MATLAB, which is 100x3000. Despite having many columns that are all zeros, the rank of A is still 100. This contradicts the idea that the rank of a matrix cannot be higher than its dimensions. The conversation also touches on the nullspace of A and how it confirms the existence of 100 linearly independent rows/columns. The key takeaway is that the rank of a matrix is not determined by the orthogonality of its rows/columns, but rather by the dimension of its image.
mikeph
A is not square but rank(A) = rank(A') ?

Hi
Can anyone help with understand a basic idea, I have a matrix A in MATLAB which is 100x3000.

I have checked and there exist many columns of A that are all zeros.

But apparently rank(A) = rank(A') = 100

Wikipedia states that the rank of an m x n matrix cannot be higher than m nor n... my interpretation of this sentence is that rank(A) ≤ min(m, n), is that correct? If so, surely that means my matrix is full-rank despite having zero columns?

My understanding is that a full-rank matrix has fully orthogonal rows/columns, and since my matrix A clearly has multiple columns filled with only zeros, it cannot possibly be full-rank. So why is rank(A) = 100?

Can someone tell me my interpretation of wikipedia is wrong and that this matrix is indeed really rank-deficient, it would make my day.

Thanksedit- bonus question... the nullspace of A is 3000x2900. So surely that would confirm the idea that there are only 100 linearly independent rows/columns in A?

Physics news on Phys.org

rank has nothing to do with orthogonality of rows/column. It is the dimension of the image (when the matrix is considered as a map R3000 to R100).

As far as I can tell, your interpretation of wikipedia is correct. All you need to do in order to show that the matrix has rank 100 is to find, among the 3000 columns, 100 of them that are linearly independant. It does not matter that many of them are 0, as long as together they span R100.

MikeyW said:
edit- bonus question... the nullspace of A is 3000x2900. So surely that would confirm the idea that there are only 100 linearly independent rows/columns in A?
The rank-nullity formula says that 3000 = dim(nullspace A) + rank(A). So again, if you know the nullspace has dimension 2900, this proves the rank is 100.

Wow, that's a really good answer. Thanks!

1. What does "A is not square but rank(A) = rank(A')" mean?

This statement means that the matrix A is not a square matrix, but the number of linearly independent rows and columns in A is equal to the number of linearly independent columns and rows in the transpose of A.

2. Can a non-square matrix have equal row and column ranks?

Yes, it is possible for a non-square matrix to have equal row and column ranks. This means that the matrix has the same number of linearly independent rows and columns, even though it is not a square matrix.

3. How is the rank of a matrix determined?

The rank of a matrix is determined by finding the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. This can be done by performing row operations or using other methods such as finding the determinant or using the singular value decomposition.

4. What is the significance of "A is not square but rank(A) = rank(A')" in linear algebra?

This statement is significant because it shows that the number of linearly independent rows and columns in a non-square matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns and rows in its transpose. This can be helpful in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of a matrix.

5. Can a matrix have different row and column ranks?

Yes, it is possible for a matrix to have different row and column ranks. This means that the matrix does not have the same number of linearly independent rows and columns, and it can affect the properties and operations that can be performed on the matrix.