Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
I got into a SULI program ~5 days ago. It was my first choice (so I'm obviously not complaining) but still a little odd that they only give you 10 days to decide. I've only heard back from 1/6 REUs and I already accepted an offer lol... Really excited, though!

To the guy a few posts above. A friend of mine got into Nevis two years ago and the amount of people who apply is extremely large. Once you finish your first app you might as well do a few more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MechE2015 said:
Do you guys think I would have a decent chance at an engineering REU with relatively little physics course completion (physics I and II, thermodynamics)? I have mathematics completed up to and including differential equations, chemistry I and II, little research at a small university, and a 3.9 GPA. Any comments would be appreciated!

My first REU I was in pretty much the same boat. I hadn't even had thermodynamics and ended up spending the summer doing energy analysis of internal combustion engines (programming). I enjoyed it so much I returned the next year and help baseline a research grade engine testbench. Not bad for a physics major with a few engineering courses :).

They won't expect you to know everything walking in the door, just be willing to learn. In fact I think it is better not to have a good idea of the subject material as the group (or prof) you will be with may have their own distinct way of conducting research.

Both summers there were freshman much less qualified than you are.

deskswirl said:
My first REU I was in pretty much the same boat. I hadn't even had thermodynamics and ended up spending the summer doing energy analysis of internal combustion engines (programming). I enjoyed it so much I returned the next year and help baseline a research grade engine testbench. Not bad for a physics major with a few engineering courses :).

They won't expect you to know everything walking in the door, just be willing to learn. In fact I think it is better not to have a good idea of the subject material as the group (or prof) you will be with may have their own distinct way of conducting research.

Both summers there were freshman much less qualified than you are.

That's great to hear! Thank you very much for sharing. I'm crossing my fingers since most of my applied schools just had their deadlines close, so I should hear something soon. I've also heard that coming from a small university helps a lot, which I would be from.

On a side note (in hopes that I actually did get a gig), did you feel unprepared at all entering your REU since your physics background wasn't as deep as some of the others?

Thanks again!

MechE2015 said:
That's great to hear! Thank you very much for sharing. I'm crossing my fingers since most of my applied schools just had their deadlines close, so I should hear something soon. I've also heard that coming from a small university helps a lot, which I would be from.

On a side note (in hopes that I actually did get a gig), did you feel unprepared at all entering your REU since your physics background wasn't as deep as some of the others?

Thanks again!

I did feel underprepared in the beginning primarily due to my background being more beginning EE based (Phys I & II, modern, circuit theory, digital design) rather than ME. But honestly I don't think you should worry too much as they won't expect you to perform above what is feasibly possible for you at this level.

The purpose of a REU is not for you to get a paper published (although some do) rather it is intended to serve as a first research experience for students from small universities (such as you and myself) who don't have opportunities at their home university AND to inspire one to pursue graduate studies.

I very much enjoyed both REUs and think that they provided me with invaluable experience which will lead me to continue in academia. Talk with all the professors and graduate students that you meet as they will be a good source of information as to what comes next.

James LeBron said:
Got an offer from UNC Greensboro a few days ago for algorithmic combinatorics on words. I will likely accept, so let me know if you're going. I applied to 12 places, but it looks like I'll be withdrawing my application for 11 of them soon.

Hi. Congratulations for getting selected. I thought however that the deadline for that REU was Feb 18. Did they give you an indication as to why they were making offers before the deadline?

alabala said:
Hi. Congratulations for getting selected. I thought however that the deadline for that REU was Feb 18. Did they give you an indication as to why they were making offers before the deadline?

I wasn't expecting to get one this early. I have a couple of theories, but the biggest one is that REUs aren't obligated to wait until a certain date before reviewing applications.

In case anyone was wondering, I know people who have been accepted at U Michigan and UCLA for physics.

Does anyone here have any experience with phone interviews for REUs? If so, please share what it was like and what kinds of questions they asked you. Thanks!

Do you guys do anything special to thank your letter writers? I wasn't planning on it but my roommate bought each of his a small gift with a thank you card and said that was standard practice. I hadn't done any such thing in the past so I don't know

Takuza said:
Do you guys do anything special to thank your letter writers? I wasn't planning on it but my roommate bought each of his a small gift with a thank you card and said that was standard practice. I hadn't done any such thing in the past so I don't know

I would be interested in this as well; if gift is a practice, what possible gift?

I got a call from a guy who runs one of the programs I applied to, I missed it but he left a very long voice mail, saying that he would like for me to discuss what I'd be interested in working on and that there were people who wanted to work with me. While I'm very happy to have obtained what I assume is tentative acceptance into a program (and I really did not think I would get into this one), it was towards the bottom of the list of the programs I was interested in, and I can't expect to here back from anywhere else for another few weeks. Since I will apparently need to call the guy back tomorrow (why would they not just send emails to make this less awkward...), does anyone know a polite way I could ask how long I could put off making a decision to weigh my options, or a polite way to decline if need be? I imagine that it be wrong of me to chat with the various researchers simply to drag the process out a bit. And I'd really hate to turn down this offer only to be rejected from all the rest : (

Also I missed the call like 10pm Friday night, should I just wait until monday to respond or what.

Takuza said:

ofb said:
I would be interested in this as well; if gift is a practice, what possible gift?

Professors, employers, etc. are busy people, so I always, always give some sort of token of appreciation. At least a hand-written thank you card is customary. I often give a 10-20 dollar gift card. This year, I'm giving my letter writers a card and a copy of a classic science book by poincare, feynman, einstein, kuhn, Heisenberg, etc.

Does anyone know of links to find REUs (math specifically) that aren't NSF funded? I've applied to all the ones with projects I'm interested in, but that really isn't that much.

Also, I have an offer already but I haven't heard back from any of the other ones I applied to. Is it okay to send an e-mail asking if they have made a decision on me yet? I need to reply really soon.

Anyone know when we start to hear back? Is it standardized so that we get all the acceptances before having to reply?

mathskier said:
Anyone know when we start to hear back? Is it standardized so that we get all the acceptances before having to reply?

Offers come at any time and it is not standardized, unfortunately. I've heard of a few people getting offers now and I think by the next week most of the initial offers will be out. By about the 2nd week of March if you haven't heard from anywhere it might be a good idea to e-mail programs about your status.

I think that these next 10 days responses for Physics REU's will be coming in so good luck to everyone and please post as you hear news so the rest of us know when offers are made!

Anyone hear from Maryland, Lehigh, Alabama, Columbia, or CalTech yet?

Last edited:
mathskier said:

Of those, I applied to Alabama only and have not heard back. Good luck to you on all of those!

mathskier said:

Lehigh's deadline is on 7 March, so I wouldn't expect anything until maybe after then. As for Maryland, they told me they would be making decisions by 1 March. This is for the TREND program. I don't know if that is the one you applied to.

Lehigh's website says decisions start coming in late February is why I asked.

I have my fingers crossed!

Anyone know how to predict chances? For instance, I come from a mid-sized school, have one semester of research experience, and very high grades, but I'm a sophomore and not a girl/ minority.

mathskier said:
Anyone know how to predict chances? For instance, I come from a mid-sized school, have one semester of research experience, and very high grades, but I'm a sophomore and not a girl/ minority.

What I have heard from talking to REU directors and other people is that your personal statement and letters of recommendation carry a majority of the weight. Of course this will vary from program to program, but there are just too many applicants with good grades. So hopefully your semester of research transferred to a good recommendation letter. If you read the rest of this thread, you should have seen some acceptance statistics. The acceptance rates for these is incredibly low. Some put a ton of weight on minority status and the type of university you attend, and other programs seem to care more just about merit. So it's pretty difficult to predict chances.

I applied to several programs this year. One program said they will notify students by March 1st. I'm going backpacking on March 1st and will be away from email and phone for 11 days. Should I send them an email tomorrow explaining this? I'm worried that they might only give a week or so to make a decision. That is if I get in... Or should I set up an auto-response email? I'm hesitant to do this though because I get many emails that are sent to large groups of people, and the sender doesn't need to get a reply from me for every email..

Null_ said:
I applied to several programs this year. One program said they will notify students by March 1st. I'm going backpacking on March 1st and will be away from email and phone for 11 days. Should I send them an email tomorrow explaining this? I'm worried that they might only give a week or so to make a decision. That is if I get in... Or should I set up an auto-response email? I'm hesitant to do this though because I get many emails that are sent to large groups of people, and the sender doesn't need to get a reply from me for every email..

That's a terrible situation and I would definitely send them an email explaining it.

Null_ said:

Auto-response emails are generally sent only once per-person (presuming you have a 'normal' email provider/client). You could also ask someone to check your email for you.

Think about it this way: if you get an acceptance, and can't respond in 5 days, you're delaying the possible acceptance of someone else. So, why would you even want to delay the entire process because you're unavailable?

Does anyone have any experience at the William and Mary Matrix Analysis REU? Also, the SMALL program at Williams is done with applications. I was shortlisted for Ergodic theory but apparently most people took the offer =/

FYI I applied to [math REUs at Emory, Duluth, SMALL, SUNY Potsdam, Cornell, Iowa State, LSU, Mt. Holyoke, Penn State, Texas A&M], and [Vic Reiner's REU at Minnesota], and got responses from four: rejections from Emory, Duluth, and SMALL, acceptance from LSU. I accepted the offer from LSU since out of the REUs I hadn't been rejected from, the topics at the LSU REU interested me most (I want to do something related to Galois theory). Remaining applications have been retracted. I am a sophomore at a mid-sized research university.

Also, with regards to giving gifts to letter writers, after poking around some more I have come to the conclusion that gifts are frowned upon as a sort of bribe but a handwritten letter is much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone.

If they say they will notify by March 1st I take that to mean you will hear today (the 28th) so I say just wait until this evening and email them asking if you hear nothing.

Declined by U Minnesota this morning.

Rejected from SMALL (probability/number theory project) yesterday.

Freshmen at a top 5 university. I'm majoring in math and had taken a bunch of math classes (2 semesters of analysis and algebra and 1 semester of differential geometry) in high school at a large research university.
Rejected from Emory 2/4.
Rejected (shortlisted) from Duluth 2/9.
Accepted at Berkeley Geometry, Topology, and Operator Algebras RTG Summer Research Program for the Symplectic Embeddings group 2/26.
Rejected (shortlisted) from SMALL Ergodic theory group 2/27.
Rejected from Minnesota Twin Cities 2/28.
Still waiting on Cornell, Cal State San Bernadino, U Michigan, and U Washington, and RIPS Hong Kong (not actually an REU but close enough).

Is anyone here applying for engineering (specifically materials/mechanical) REU programs? If so, any news thus far? I've applied to about 12 universities and haven't heard anything yet, getting anxious.

I was just notified that I am on the waitlist for National Radio Astronomy Observatory's Student Summer research program (not really an REU, as it's meant for graduating seniors/graduates). To any selected candidate that isn't going, please let them know within 2 weeks!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia/Nevis Labs? Heard they may be sending acceptance e-mails today.