Register to reply

Do transformers in chargers act as a load?

by themadquark
Tags: chargers, load, transformers
Share this thread:
themadquark
May18-14, 04:02 AM
P: 19
Due to the fact that I don't have any plans on damaging my chargers (something I am not planning to risk at the moment) I have not been able to confirm whether the transformers in chargers act as a load when nothing is charging. From what I have read, based on the design of many chargers, even when no phone/load is charging the resistance from the transformer in the charger causes it to act as a load and consume a few watts. I am asking for a confirmation of this possibly with a more in depth explanation for somebody who isn't what you would call an expert (me).
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
davenn
May18-14, 04:59 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,605
The transformer will still have small current flowing through them ... some of that is just pure leakage current.
Even just a plain transformer across the mains outlet, with no load on the secondary side, I suspect, will present a small load to the mains supply due to eddy current losses in the transformer core

Dave
meBigGuy
May18-14, 05:47 AM
P: 1,083
I think most chargers are switching regulator supplies that work over a wide range of input voltages (100V-240V, for example) They have switching losses even when no load is being drawn. Even a transformer and rectifier system will draw current with no load.

Can you explain more about why you care?

You can buy a power meter to determine the load. http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elect...NAZA3CTE2BNXAC for example (there are a bunch, read the reviews)

MrSparkle
May18-14, 08:43 AM
P: 115
Do transformers in chargers act as a load?

Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post
I think most chargers are switching regulator supplies that work over a wide range of input voltages (100V-240V, for example) They have switching losses even when no load is being drawn. Even a transformer and rectifier system will draw current with no load.
I was thinking of saying something to that effect. I don't think any phone chargers are using transformers anymore. (could be wrong)
redwan hasan
May19-14, 11:08 AM
P: 14
even if nothing is being charged, the transformer will still act as a load. it will burn a small amount of energy which is considered to be loss of the transformer.
redwan hasan
May19-14, 11:09 AM
P: 14
Quote Quote by MrSparkle View Post
I was thinking of saying something to that effect. I don't think any phone chargers are using transformers anymore. (could be wrong)
yes they still do. what changes is they are no longer linear. they use SMPS now a days just like a PC power supply but still transformer is being used.
psparky
May19-14, 11:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 752
They better still be using transformers. I'm pretty sure I don't want 120 volts held against my face.

5 volts sounds much nicer.
meBigGuy
May19-14, 03:05 PM
I guess my sloppy thinking got us here. All chargers have transformers. I was implying a linear AC transformer based system where there are some no-load losses due to the transformer, filter capacitors, etc. The switched mode systems have significant losses at no load due to the switching. Some switching circuits require small minimum loads to keep them in regulation.

For some reason I considered linear to be "transformer based" but in reality they are all transformer based.
MrSparkle
May19-14, 03:07 PM
P: 115
Quote Quote by psparky View Post
They better still be using transformers. I'm pretty sure I don't want 120 volts held against my face.

5 volts sounds much nicer.
you realize you can convert voltage without a transformer? Convert to DC, then pulse the DC current through an inductor. No transformer needed. And since the inductor would be smaller than an equivalent transformer, you save size and weight. I don't think I'd see a transformer if I opened up my phone charger.

Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post
I guess my sloppy thinking got us here. All chargers have transformers. I was implying a linear AC transformer based system where there are some no-load losses due to the transformer, filter capacitors, etc. The switched mode systems have significant losses at no load due to the switching. Some switching circuits require small minimum loads to keep them in regulation.

For some reason I considered linear to be "transformer based" but in reality they are all transformer based.
why can't you just have a switch that cuts off the circuit when charger drops below a minimum current? or when the battery reaches a threshold voltage?
meBigGuy
May19-14, 11:35 PM
I don't think I'd see a transformer if I opened up my phone charger.
I think you would.

I would expect that all commercial regulatory approved wall wart style chargers are transformer based. But, I have not opened any to check. I expect many have a transformer the size of a dime.

Register to reply