Are There Solar Systems with More Than Three Stars?

In summary, there are some known solar systems with more than three stars, including the Orion Nebula with a four star system and several other four star systems. Double-doubles have also been observed in the Lyr. Epislon and Capricorn Alpha systems. Some sources claim that there may be systems with up to eight stars. However, it is not easy for a planet to maintain a stable orbit in a multiple star system, and the distinction between a system and a cluster becomes blurry as more stars are added. Some suggest that a system with four stars, each with its own set of "moons," could potentially support planets. However, the lack of data and difficulty in observing multiple star systems makes it hard to know for sure
revelator
Is anyone know if there exists any solar systems with more than three stars? If so, does anyone know what the largest amount of stars a solar system is known to have?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
revelator said:
Is anyone know if there exists any solar systems with more than three stars? If so, does anyone know what the largest amount of stars a solar system is known to have?

The Orion Nebula (M42) has a four star system.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope15.htm

So are h5188 , Lac. 8, Lac. Roe 47, Cygnus a 2658, and another four star system in Orion.

Lyr. Epislon and Capricorn Alpha are double-doubles.

See ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/astro/dbases/stars/multistr.txt
See also http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/dsl.html and http://sunra.lbl.gov/~vhoette/Explorations/BinaryStars/

Wikipedia claims that there are some systems with up to eight stars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_star_system

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture gets a little blurry as you add more stars. There is no particular criteria for differentiating a system from a cluster. Globula clusters are gravitational bound systems that can include millions of stars. I'm curious though, in using the term solar system I had the impression you were asking whether planetary systems are known to occur in multiple star systems. Far as I know, a few are suspected in binary star systems, but not beyond that. It is not easy for a low mass object like a planet to occupy a stable orbit in a binary star system. Having two stars is bad enough, more than two would be a computational nightmare.

Thanks very much for the responses. I mean to imply, as planetary system with more than 3 stars. I got to thinking about it on the bus home, how beautiful sunrises and sunsets could be in such a system. Then got to thinking, should there be such a system with many stars, the planet surrounding it may go long periods of time without ever experiencing a night.

There is a science fiction novel, IIRC, Psychohistorical Crisis by Donald Kingsbury, that has a planet in a five star system, that engages in that kind of imaginary exploration.

Chronos said:
Far as I know, a few are suspected in binary star systems, but not beyond that. It is not easy for a low mass object like a planet to occupy a stable orbit in a binary star system. Having two stars is bad enough, more than two would be a computational nightmare.
Some four star systems consist of two binary systems orbiting each other. May be this could be a stable configuration for planetary orbits...?

Chronos said:
The picture gets a little blurry as you add more stars. There is no particular criteria for differentiating a system from a cluster. Globula clusters are gravitational bound systems that can include millions of stars. I'm curious though, in using the term solar system I had the impression you were asking whether planetary systems are known to occur in multiple star systems. Far as I know, a few are suspected in binary star systems, but not beyond that. It is not easy for a low mass object like a planet to occupy a stable orbit in a binary star system. Having two stars is bad enough, more than two would be a computational nightmare.
so why don't call this type of system a chaotic one?

revelator said:
I mean to imply, as planetary system with more than 3 stars. I got to thinking about it on the bus home, how beautiful sunrises and sunsets could be in such a system. Then got to thinking, should there be such a system with many stars, the planet surrounding it may go long periods of time without ever experiencing a night.

Of course, the main reason we have little data on this is that we couldn't see most of them if they were there, and the fact that multiple star systems are less frequent than binary and single star systems reduces the number of opportunities we have near us where there is some hope of seeing one.

I don't see any inherent reason you shouldn't be able to have planets in a system with three or more stars. For example, suppose you had one very big star (a red giant maybe) and perhaps three smallish dwarf stars. They could easily have stable orbits with respect to each other similar to the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn-Neptune system. Basically, it could have orbits similar to our own system with every object in it put on steroids. Each star would have "moons" and voila, you have a nice happy family of planets, although instead easier to observe gas giants, they would probably be mostly the rocky small kind that are hard to see with telescopes.

From the point of view of a planet circling one of the dwarf stars, you would have a dim "sun" and then three relatively "moons" (which might be pretty dim at appropriate distances) that were almost always bright instead of going through phases.

revelator said:
Thanks very much for the responses. I mean to imply, as planetary system with more than 3 stars. I got to thinking about it on the bus home, how beautiful sunrises and sunsets could be in such a system. Then got to thinking, should there be such a system with many stars, the planet surrounding it may go long periods of time without ever experiencing a night.

Issac Assimov wrote an amazing short story about just that kind of system. It tells of what happened when darkness finally comes after 2000 years of light.

revelator said:
T I got to thinking about it on the bus home, how beautiful sunrises and sunsets could be in such a system.

Or the utter lack thereof.

"I got to thinking about it on the bus home, how beautiful sunrises and sunsets could be in such a system. "

"Or the utter lack thereof."

That's a good point. Actually, multi-star systems would have less spectacular sunrise/sunsets because they would be diluted. (like using too many lights on a stage, the dramatic effect is diminished - you just get lots of white light).

Speaking of spectacular sights in our system as compared to others, I recall a story where Earth was a tourist attraction for other other space-faring races becasue we could experience a very rare solar eclipse with visible corona as well as the 'ring of fire'. It is just our luck that our moon has almost exactly the same apparent diameter as our sun.

ohwilleke said:
The Orion Nebula (M42) has a four star system.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/telescope15.htm

So are h5188 , Lac. 8, Lac. Roe 47, Cygnus a 2658, and another four star system in Orion.

Lyr. Epislon and Capricorn Alpha are double-doubles.

See ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/astro/dbases/stars/multistr.txt
See also http://ad.usno.navy.mil/wds/dsl.html and http://sunra.lbl.gov/~vhoette/Explorations/BinaryStars/

Wikipedia claims that there are some systems with up to eight stars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_star_system

I can improve this cipher :approve: . Capella is a multiple star system containing at least 9 stars, according to this page

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/stars/majorstars.shtml

I have searched extensively the web, and the multiple star system with a major number of stars that I've found is 41 Ori, with 12 stars
http://www.alcyone.de/SIT/mainstars/SIT000645.htm
If anybody find other system with a greater number of stars I'll eat my hat

What is a multi star solar system?

A multi star solar system is a planetary system that consists of more than one star, also known as a binary or multiple star system. These stars orbit around a common center of mass and may have planets orbiting them as well.

How common are multi star solar systems?

About half of all stars in the universe are part of a multi star system. They are more common in the Milky Way galaxy, with about 60% of stars being part of a binary or multiple star system.

Can planets exist in multi star solar systems?

Yes, planets can exist in multi star solar systems. In fact, some planets in these systems may have multiple suns in their skies. However, the stability and habitability of these planets may be affected by the gravitational interactions between the stars.

How are multi star solar systems formed?

Multi star solar systems can form in a variety of ways. They may form from the fragmentation of a single molecular cloud into multiple cores, or from the exchange of stars between different star clusters. They may also form from the gravitational capture of stars by an existing binary system.

What can the study of multi star solar systems tell us about the universe?

The study of multi star solar systems can provide insight into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. It can also help us understand the dynamics and stability of these systems, as well as the role of multiple stars in the habitability of planets. Additionally, studying multi star systems can help us better understand the distribution and diversity of stars and planets in the universe.