Do vacuum fluctuations contribute to vacuum polarization

In summary, vacuum fluctuations are independent of the presence of any particle and contribute to the vacuum polarization. This polarization is defined as the self energy of the photon-propagator and replaces the vacuum with a dielectric that influences electromagnetic interactions. Virtual dipoles align with electric fields to reduce potential energy.
Kruger
My question is, if only from a real particle emitted and absorbed virtual photons that make vacuum-polarzation (decay in virtual e-e+) do contribute to the shielding of this real particle.

Or can also vacuum fluctuations that pop in and out of existence contribute to the shielding of the charge of a real particle (I mean vacuum fluctations that are independently there wheter a real particle is there or not)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kruger said:
My question is, if only from a real particle emitted and absorbed virtual photons that make vacuum-polarzation (decay in virtual e-e+) do contribute to the shielding of this real particle.
Or can also vacuum fluctuations that pop in and out of existence contribute to the shielding of the charge of a real particle (I mean vacuum fluctations that are independently there wheter a real particle is there or not)?

Vacuum fluctuations are independent of the presence of any particle. They are a property of the vacuum, that is all.

YES, they contribute to the vacuum polarization. As a matter of fact, this polarization is defined based upon these fluctuations. For example in the case of the EM-interaction, mediated by virtual photons, this polarization is defined as the self energy of the photon-propagator. Thus, the vacuum is replaced by a dielectric (ie the vacuum polarization) that influences the EM going on. More specifically, the "virtual dipoles" (virtual particle:anti particle pairs) will align themselves with the electric fields in order to reduce the potential energy of the system

marlon

Thanks. That is all I wanted to know. I see, marlon, with you the master of theoretical physics is back.

1. What are vacuum fluctuations and vacuum polarization?

Vacuum fluctuations are temporary changes in the energy level of a vacuum, while vacuum polarization is the phenomenon in which virtual particles emerge from the vacuum and interact with other particles, causing a distortion in the vacuum's electric field.

2. How do vacuum fluctuations contribute to vacuum polarization?

Vacuum fluctuations can give rise to virtual particle-antiparticle pairs, which can then interact with the vacuum's electric field and contribute to vacuum polarization.

3. Are vacuum fluctuations and vacuum polarization the same thing?

No, they are different phenomena. Vacuum fluctuations are temporary changes in the energy level of a vacuum, while vacuum polarization is the result of virtual particles interacting with the vacuum's electric field.

4. Can vacuum fluctuations be observed in experiments?

Yes, vacuum fluctuations have been observed indirectly through various experiments, such as the Casimir effect and Lamb shift.

5. How do vacuum fluctuations and vacuum polarization relate to the uncertainty principle?

According to the uncertainty principle, there is always a minimum amount of energy present in a vacuum, which can give rise to vacuum fluctuations. Vacuum polarization is also related to the uncertainty principle, as the presence of virtual particles and their interactions contribute to the uncertainty in the vacuum's electric field.