So why is it important to use mod 2Pi in this formula?

• Thread starter rtharbaugh1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: So it is common to say "180 degrees (mod 360 degrees)" and "540 degrees (mod 360 degrees)" and "900 degrees (mod 360 degrees)" are all the same angle.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "mod" notation in geometry, specifically in regards to angles and conversions between radians and degrees. The speakers also mention its use in modular arithmetic and provide examples of how it is used in everyday life.
rtharbaugh1
I am refreshing my maths and came across this formula stated as a fact without explanation in a geometry text. How does this work? I would have thought (mod 2Pi) was the decimal portion of 2Pi but that doesn't multiply out to 180.

Thanks,

R.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rtharbaugh1 said:
I am refreshing my maths and came across this formula stated as a fact without explanation in a geometry text. How does this work? I would have thought (mod 2Pi) was the decimal portion of 2Pi but that doesn't multiply out to 180.

Thanks,

R.

I've never seen such a thing as "pi (mod 2pi)= 180 degrees"! I suspect what is meant is simply that, since a complete circle, measured in radians, is 2pi, while measured in degrees it is 360 degrees, then pi radians is the measure of a half circle which corresponds to 180 degrees.

That's just telling how to convert from one set of units (radians) to another (degrees) and, in my opinion anyway, has nothing to do with "mod". "pi (mod 2pi)= 180 degrees" strikes me as a lot like saying "one foot (mod one yard)= 33 cm."

Thank you for the reply. The text is Geometry, A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe, Dover, 1970. Perhaps I have misinterpreted.

On page 3 Pedoe says "We know that in Euclidean geometry, for any triangle ABC, angle BCA + angle CAB + angle ABC = Pi (mod 2Pi)"

If I recall correctly the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees, so I wrote "Pi (mod 2Pi) = 180 degrees." Did I make a mistake?

Anyway, except for using the word "Pi" instead of the Greek symbol, and using the word "angle" where Pedoe uses a symbol like the "less than" symbol "<" but with an arc drawn through it, I have now quoted exactly.

I don't get the "mod" idea. My best understanding from reading around in Wiki and Mathworld is that (mod Pi) would mean the decimal portion of Pi, in other words, Pi minus three. So (mod 2 Pi) should be about .28. Am I anywhere close to the meaning of the mod notation?

Looking on in the chapter, I don't see any further use of the mod notation. Maybe I should just ignore this sentence as some kind of aberration.

Thanks for your comment and any further idea you may have on the idea of "mod".

R

Last edited:
The "mod 2Pi" means they are treating angles that differ by an integer multiple of 2Pi as the same, eg. Pi, 3Pi, 5Pi, -Pi, -99Pi all point in the same direction. This isn't saying the real numbers Pi and 3Pi are the same, rather the angles given by Pi and 3Pi radians are the same (recall a full circle is 2Pi radians).

Pi radians=180 degrees. Leaving off the 'radians' part makes it nonsense.

We know that in Euclidean geometry, for any triangle ABC, angle BCA + angle CAB + angle ABC = Pi (mod 2Pi)
Yes, that's true. Although I would prefer it said specifically "Pi radians" and "(mod 2Pi radians)".

Pi (mod 2Pi) = 180 degrees
No, that's not at all the same thing. What is the same thing is
"in Euclidean geometry, for any triangle ABC, angle BCA + angle CAB + angle ABC = 180 degrees (mod 360 degrees)"

Both are saying that you can keep increasing the angle without bound- winding around and around the circle, if you like- but normally, we work within "once around the circle", 2pi radians or 360 degrees.

Thank you both for the replies. I am still uncertain about the idea of mod, which I have also seen in other places. I would like to feel that the next time I encounter it I will know what it means. Any direction here much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Try looking up "Modular arithmetic". This is widely used in number theory (any elementary text will explain it), so you'll be able to find plenty of examples.

mod is something you use every day of the week, literally.

Suppose today is still Friday the 17th of February when you read this.

What day is nine days hence? That's a week and two days, so the day of the week is unaffected by adding seven days, so it is sunday. What date is in 3 weeks time? 3 weeks is twenty one days, so that would be the 38'th of February (bear with me), but feb only has 28 days making it ten days into March.

See, you're knocking off multiplies of something useful.In geometry there is no reason to distinguish 180 and 540, in some sense, ie the differ by a full circle of 360 degrees.

1. What is the equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" used for?

The equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" is used to convert radians to degrees. It is commonly used in trigonometry and geometry to express angles in both radians and degrees.

2. How does the equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" work?

The equation works by taking the value of pi (π) and dividing it by 2π, which results in a remainder of 1. This remainder represents the angle of 180 degrees, as 2π is the equivalent of 360 degrees. Therefore, pi (π) in radians is equal to 180 degrees.

3. Why is the equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" important in mathematics?

The equation is important because it helps in converting between the two most commonly used units of measuring angles - radians and degrees. It also helps in simplifying calculations involving angles in trigonometry and geometry.

4. Can the equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" be used for angles greater than 360 degrees?

No, the equation is only applicable for angles between 0 and 360 degrees (or 0 and 2π radians). It cannot be used for angles greater than 360 degrees as the remainder would exceed 180 degrees and would no longer represent an angle in standard position.

5. Is the equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" the only way to convert radians to degrees?

No, there are other ways to convert radians to degrees, such as multiplying by 180/π or using the conversion factor of 1 radian = 57.2958 degrees. The equation "Pi(mod 2Pi)=180 degrees" is just one of the methods, but it is the most commonly used one in mathematics.