Rigid Objects in Equilibrium and Center of Gravity

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a woman leaning against a smooth vertical wall and finding the force exerted on her shoulder by the wall, the horizontal component of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground, and the vertical component of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground. The solution provided for a) was Fn = 198.99 N, while for b) and c), the answer was 198.99 N as well. Further clarification was provided for c), stating that the only downward force on the woman is her weight, so the upward component of the floor's force on her must be 470N for her to be in equilibrium.
helen3743
Thanks in advance--

Problem:
A woman who weighs 470 x 10^2 is leaning against a smooth vertical wall, as the drawing shows.
a) Find the force FN (directed perpendicular to the wall) exerted on her shoulder by the wall.
b) Find the horizontal component of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground.
c) Find the vertical component of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground.

I answered the problem, but I was wondering if I did it correctly.
I uploaded the drawing.

a) Fn(sin60)r1 = mgr2
Fn(sin60)(1.1+0.4) = 470(cos60)(1.1)
Fn = 198.99 N

b) 198.99 N

c) 198.99N + 470N = 668.99 N

Thanks!

Attachments

• 09_22.gif
    09_22.gif
    4 KB · Views: 905
Physics news on Phys.org
helen3743 said:
a) Fn(sin60)r1 = mgr2
Fn(sin60)(1.1+0.4) = 470(cos60)(1.1)
Fn = 198.99 N

b) 198.99 N
Looks good to me.
c) 198.99N + 470N = 668.99 N
Why are you adding a horizontal force to the weight (a vertical force)?

Hint: You should be able to answer c) without any calculation.

Hmm.. So I'm guessing it would be just 470N...?

Thanks again!

Hey, no guessing! :smile: The only downward force on her is her weight... so what must the upward component of the floor's force on her be for her to be in equilibrium?

1. What is a rigid object?

A rigid object is an object that does not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces.

2. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity with no net force acting upon it.

3. How do you determine the center of gravity of a rigid object?

The center of gravity of a rigid object is the point at which the entire weight of the object is considered to act. It can be determined by finding the point where the object would be in perfect balance if suspended.

4. What factors affect the stability of a rigid object?

The stability of a rigid object is affected by factors such as the height of the center of gravity, the base of support, and the distribution of weight. Objects with a lower center of gravity and a wider base of support are more stable.

5. How does the center of gravity change when additional weight is added to a rigid object?

The center of gravity of a rigid object will shift towards the heavier side when additional weight is added. This will affect the stability of the object and may cause it to tip over if the center of gravity moves beyond the base of support.