Is a 1-Dimensional Superlattice Truly Central to Computer Processor Design?

• Thread starter ferretgr
  • Start date
In summary, this person is saying that a 1-dimensional superlattice is a basic definition of a computer processor, but that the quantum effect that makes it all work only happens in 1 dimension. They don't know what a superlattice is beyond a textbook definition, and they don't understand how one (or anything outside of string theory or some other exotic situation, for that matter) can be one-dimensional. This person is asking for help understanding what this quantum effect is, and they apologise if their question is inappropriate for these forums.
ferretgr
I kind of stumbled into a debate, and while I saw some obvious flaws, it went into thermophysics, solid state, and quantum, which are areas that I didn't study in much depth.

Here's a quote that I wonder if you folks could help me out with:

"A 1-dimensional superlattice is a basic definition of a computer processor. As far as the electrons are concerned, it's just one long squiggle of N and P junctions that electricity flows through in only one direction. It's a 2-dimensional construct existing in a 3D space, but the quantum effect that makes it all work occurs in only 1 dimension."

I can't make sense of this. I haven't done much in the way of IC design and whatnot, but I don't recognize superlattices as being a part of the design. To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what a superlattice is beyond a textbook definition, and I don't understand how one (or anything outside of string theory or some other exotic situation, for that matter) can be one-dimensional. Am I missing something obvious, or is this statement the work of a crackpot?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ferretgr said:
I kind of stumbled into a debate, and while I saw some obvious flaws, it went into thermophysics, solid state, and quantum, which are areas that I didn't study in much depth.

Here's a quote that I wonder if you folks could help me out with:

"A 1-dimensional superlattice is a basic definition of a computer processor. As far as the electrons are concerned, it's just one long squiggle of N and P junctions that electricity flows through in only one direction. It's a 2-dimensional construct existing in a 3D space, but the quantum effect that makes it all work occurs in only 1 dimension."

I can't make sense of this. I haven't done much in the way of IC design and whatnot, but I don't recognize superlattices as being a part of the design. To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what a superlattice is beyond a textbook definition, and I don't understand how one (or anything outside of string theory or some other exotic situation, for that matter) can be one-dimensional. Am I missing something obvious, or is this statement the work of a crackpot?

Thanks for your help.

First of all, you should understand why something like this is frustratingly annoying. We get a glimpse of the the stuff (who knows what the whole issue is) and not only that, you are bringing some "crap" from other forums into here. We have had too many of that (example: that silly question about airplane on a conveyor belt that keeps popping on PF like zits).

People who think 1D conductors are easy and that electrons behave as they should have never heard of Luttinger Liquid. That's all I'm going to say.

Zz.

Sorry about this... I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just wanted to get some clarification on what exactly a 1-dimensional superlattice is. I apologise if this kind of thing is inappropriate for these forums. I realize that highbrow discussion is more appropriate here; that's why I filtered my question down to that specific piece of writing.

Again, sorry! Feel free to remove the message if you feel it is in violation of any guidelines you folks have.

ferretgr said:

If you want to talk about computer processors, i suggest you first study the different junctions that are present in a CMOS transistor.

Besides, what quantum effect are you referring to. In CMOS there are several quantum effects that influence the operation : Poole Frenkel Defects , Fowler-Nordheim tunneling, Mobility in the substrate channel, Transport caracteristics, ...

marlon

What is a 1-dimensional superlattice?

A 1-dimensional superlattice is a periodic array of alternating layers of two different materials, with a thickness of only one atomic layer. This results in a structure that is one-dimensional in nature, meaning that it has properties that are dependent on the direction of the lattice.

How is a 1-dimensional superlattice created?

A 1-dimensional superlattice is typically created using a process called molecular beam epitaxy, where atoms or molecules are deposited onto a substrate in a controlled manner to form the desired layered structure. This process requires precise control and manipulation of the deposition conditions to achieve the desired properties.

What are the potential applications of 1-dimensional superlattices?

1-dimensional superlattices have potential applications in various fields, including electronics, photonics, and energy storage. They can be used to create novel electronic devices with improved performance, such as high-speed transistors and quantum devices. They can also be used as components in optical devices, such as lasers and detectors, and in energy storage devices, like batteries and supercapacitors.

What makes 1-dimensional superlattices unique compared to other superlattice structures?

1-dimensional superlattices are unique in that their properties are highly dependent on the direction of the lattice. This means that they can exhibit different behaviors and functionalities along different directions, making them versatile for various applications. They also have a high surface-to-volume ratio, which can lead to enhanced surface effects and properties.

What are some current challenges in the research of 1-dimensional superlattices?

Some current challenges in the research of 1-dimensional superlattices include the development of new fabrication techniques to create more complex structures, the understanding and control of interface effects, and the integration of these structures into practical devices. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand and optimize the properties of 1-dimensional superlattices for specific applications.