Finding the Torque in a 3000 lb Car Acceleration

In summary, Dan is struggling with finding the torque needed for a 3000 lb car to accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 10 seconds, with wheels of 1 ft. He knows the equation for torque, but is having trouble applying it to the problem. He also realizes that the force that accelerated the car also made the wheels turn in the horizontal direction. After some calculations, he realizes that the acceleration of the car is 6 ft/sec^2 and the force acting on the car is 562.5 lbs. He then realizes that 60 mph is approximately 88 ftps and thanks the expert for the quick replies and help.
Supernerd2004
I just need a little help going about solving this problem. This is first problem in this lesson, and it is driving me crazy. Any help would be great!

A 3000 lb car is accelerated from 0 to 60mph in 10 seconds. Find the torque needed if the car has wheels of 1 ft. Ans (825 ft lbs)

We know that T (torque) = Force X radius X sin (theta), but it doesn't seem that the equation is helpful in this problem.
Thanks,

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
The force that accelarated the car also made the wheels turn, and this force is in the "horizontal" direction.

I guess I'm still a little confused. If the car went from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, then the acceleration must be 6 feet/sec^2. So if the mass of the car is 3000/32 or 93.75 the force acting on the car is m X a = 562.5 lbs. This is where I get stuck. Thanks again for the quick response!

Dan

60 mph is approximately 88 ftps.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. Thanks again so much for the help and the quick replies.

Dan

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft*lb).

2. How is torque related to a car's acceleration?

Torque is directly related to a car's acceleration. The greater the torque, the greater the force that is applied to the wheels, resulting in a faster acceleration.

3. How do I calculate torque in a 3000 lb car acceleration?

To calculate torque in a 3000 lb car acceleration, you will need to know the car's mass, its acceleration, and the distance from the center of the wheels to the point where the torque is being applied. The formula for torque is T = m*a*r, where T is torque, m is mass, a is acceleration, and r is the distance from the center of the wheels.

4. Can torque be negative in a car's acceleration?

Yes, torque can be negative in a car's acceleration. This means that the force applied to the wheels is in the opposite direction of the car's motion, resulting in a deceleration or slowing down of the car.

5. How does the torque affect a car's handling?

The torque of a car can greatly affect its handling. A higher torque can provide more power and better traction, resulting in better handling and control of the car. However, too much torque can also lead to oversteering or understeering, which can be dangerous and impact the car's handling negatively.