Understanding The Importance of Centre of Mass for Balance - Explained by Peter

• Thread starter Don Carnage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
Balance simply means that the object is stable and will return to its original position after being disturbed. The centre of mass is important because it determines how an object will respond to external forces. Objects with a low centre of mass are more stable and harder to knock over, while objects with a high centre of mass are less stable and easier to knock over. This is because the centre of mass is where gravity acts on an object, and if it is closer to the ground, gravity will have less leverage to tip the object over. In summary, the centre of mass is crucial for determining the stability and balance of an object.
Don Carnage
Hi ppl.

Why is it, the "centre of mass" determines how good the balance
of an object is ? I’ve tried this experimentally, on when I place the centre of mass below the object, its nearly impossible to push over, Or well... It IS IMPOSSIBLE! Could someone please tell me which equations tells me about this ?

Thx

Peter:tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Don Carnage said:
Why is it, the "centre of mass" determines how good the balance
of an object is ?

The centre of mass is where gravity acts on a body.

It can be further studied if you introduce moments.

Clockwise moments = Anti-clockwise moments

F x d = F x d

DM said:
The centre of mass is where gravity acts on a body.

It can be further studied if you introduce moments.

Clockwise moments = Anti-clockwise moments

F x d = F x d

Do you mean angular moments and torque ? I still don't get it.. don't you know an equation ?

'angular moments'!
LOL!

It depends a bit upon the context, but suppose you are tightrope walking. If you are slightly out of balance (ie, your center of mass is not precisely above the rope), gravity will exert a nonzero net torque to make you fall over to the side completely.
But imagine you are hanging from below the rope (with your arms or something). Now if you swing sideways gravity exerts a torque to restore you to the equilibrium position right beneath the rope (much like a pendulum). The first is an example of unstable equilibrium, the second of stable equilibrium.
For a rigid body in a uniform gravitational field, gravity can be assumed to act on the center (centre?) of mass. If the center of mass is above the turning point (the contact point on the rope in this case) you have an unstable equilibrium, if the center of mass is below the turning point, you have stable equilibrium. You can easily convince yourself of this if you draw a picture and analyze the torques.

This is why tightrope walkers often practice with a long pole to which two long strings with masses are attached, so the the center of mass lies below the rope.

Last edited:
Don Carnage said:
Why is it, the "centre of mass" determines how good the balance of an object is ? I’ve tried this experimentally, on when I place the centre of mass below the object, its nearly impossible to push over, Or well... It IS IMPOSSIBLE! Could someone please tell me which equations tells me about this ?
I think you need to revisit what the term "balance" means. Something can be in balance and be easily nocked out of balance by a small force.

1. What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point within a body or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is often referred to as the balance point of an object.

2. Why is the centre of mass important for balance?

The centre of mass is important for balance because it determines the stability and equilibrium of an object. When an object is balanced, the centre of mass is directly above the base of support, creating a stable and upright position.

3. How does the centre of mass change with different body positions?

The centre of mass changes with different body positions because it is affected by the distribution of weight and the positioning of body parts. For example, when standing upright, the centre of mass is located at the hips, but when bending forward, it shifts towards the front of the body.

4. How can understanding the centre of mass improve athletic performance?

Understanding the centre of mass can improve athletic performance by helping athletes maintain balance and stability while performing complex movements. By understanding how their body's centre of mass shifts, athletes can adjust their technique and positioning to optimize their performance and prevent injury.

5. Is the centre of mass the same for every person?

No, the centre of mass is unique to each individual and can vary based on factors such as body composition, weight distribution, and posture. It can also change over time as a person's body changes and develops.