Excess electrons and net charge

In summary, the conversation discusses working on electrostatics in a college physics class and struggling with solving homework problems related to Coulomb's law. Two examples are given, one involving finding the number of excess electrons on a lead sphere and the other involving determining the number of excess electrons per lead atom. The solution is explained using the formula Q=ne, where Q is the total charge, e is the charge of a single electron, and n is the number of electrons. It is also suggested to look up the charge of a single electron and the number of lead atoms in 20 g of lead in order to solve the problems.
eku_girl83
In my college physics class, we are working on electrostatics. Our homework problems relate to Coulomb's law, but I don't know how to manipulate it to solve them. Here are some examples:

1)Excess electrons are placed on a small lead sphere of mass 20 g so that its net charge is -2.60x10^-9 C. Find the number of excess electrons on the sphere.
2) How many excess electrons are there per lead atom? The atomic number of lead is 82, and the atomic mass is 207 g/mol.

Any help/explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Q=ne where Q is total charge and e electronics charge whereas n is the no of electrons

Just to elaborate slightly on himanshu121's response:

(a) Do you know the charge on a single electron? If you don't, then you should look it up. I'll bet it's in your textbook. Once you know that, how many electrons would it take to make -2.60x10^-9 C?

(b) Once you know the answer to (a), you can divide it by the number of lead atoms to find the number of electrons per atom. Of course, to do that you need to know how many atoms of lead there are in 20 g of lead. How many atoms are there in 1 gram?

Thanks

Thanks you guys! I now have my problems worked correctly :)

1. What are excess electrons?

Excess electrons are electrons that exist in an atom or molecule in greater quantity than the number of protons in the nucleus. This results in a negative net charge.

2. How do excess electrons affect the overall charge of an object?

Excess electrons contribute to the net charge of an object. If an object has more electrons than protons, it will have a negative charge. If it has fewer electrons than protons, it will have a positive charge.

3. Can excess electrons be transferred from one object to another?

Yes, excess electrons can be transferred from one object to another through processes such as friction, conduction, or induction. This can result in a change in the net charge of the objects involved.

4. How are excess electrons important in electricity and electrical circuits?

Excess electrons are crucial in electricity and electrical circuits as they are responsible for the flow of electric current. The movement of excess electrons from one point to another creates an electrical current that can power devices and systems.

5. What are some common sources of excess electrons?

Some common sources of excess electrons include friction between two objects, chemical reactions, and exposure to light or radiation. These sources can result in an imbalance of electrons in an atom or molecule, leading to a negative net charge.