I can't figure out if this statement is true or false, i said false

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is about working with negations of quantified statements. The question is whether all occurrences of the letter u in the title of the book are lowercase. One person believes it is false because the statement is not clear and if even one book has a non-lowercase u, then it is false. The other person suggests looking at the title of the textbook, "Susanna S. Epp Discrete Mathematics with Applications, Third Edition," and concludes that it is false since "Susanna S. Epp" is not part of the title. They also discuss the logic behind the statement "Are all unicorns green?" and come to the conclusion that it is true because there are no unicorns.
mr_coffee
This chapter is working with negations of Quantified statements.

True or False. All the occurrrences of the letter u in the title of this book are lower case. Justify your answer.

I said false, because they arn't being clear when they say "this" If even 1 book doesn't have a lowercase its false. But what is the method you would go about solving this?

I never took a negation of a non-if then statement. If its if then, its pretty easy:
~(Ax, if P(x) then Q(x)) equivlent too Ex such that P(x) and ~Q(x)
or

Ax in D, Q(x) equivlent Ex in D such that ~Q(x)

Note: A should be upside down, and E should be backwards.

THanks! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
If this problem was in a chapter of your textbook, look at the title of your textbook!

It was, the title of my textbook is:

Susanna S. Epp
Discrete Mathematics with applications Third Editition

So is Susanna S. Epp part of the title? I think not, so it has to be false right?

Are all unicorns green? In logic this translates to,
For all x, if x is a unicorn, x is green.
or more informally
If there is a unicorn, it is green.

There aren't any unicorns, so the antecedent of that implication is false. So all unicorns are green.

Does this help you?

yes I believe so! Since the title of the book has no u's (they don't exist, like the unicorn), So All the occurrrences of the letter u in the title of this book are lower case.

1. What is the statement in question?

The statement in question is "I said false".

2. Why can't you figure out if the statement is true or false?

There may be a lack of evidence or information to support the statement, or it may be a subjective statement without a clear answer.

3. What does it mean to say "false"?

Saying "false" means that the statement is not true or correct.

4. Is there a way to determine the truthfulness of the statement?

Yes, there are various methods such as conducting research, gathering evidence, or seeking expert opinions to determine the truthfulness of a statement.

5. Can a statement be both true and false at the same time?

No, a statement cannot be both true and false at the same time. It is either one or the other.