How to Calculate Transmission Coefficient for a Quantum Rectangular Barrier?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plane-wave particle tunneling through a rectangular barrier potential with height v and width a. The first part of the problem involves writing general solutions for the stationary state functions in each region of the potential, which is completed without issues. The second part asks to find four relations among the five arbitrary constants in part a), which is also completed successfully. The final part, c), proves to be challenging as the individual struggles to understand how to use the relations from part b) to equate the transmission coefficient. After several attempts, the individual is able to solve the problem by eliminating coefficients of the general solution and then solving for the coefficient of transmission. In the end, the individual realizes that the transmission coefficient
judonight
Ok, so I've been dealing with this problem for a while and can't figure it out. (I tried to clean it up, but I don't know LaTeX, hopefully it is more clean in post #2; problem stated in #1, and my work in #2)

--Consider a (plane-wave) particle tunneling through a rectangular barrier potential w/ height v, and width a (the particle has E<v)...

a) write general solutions of stationary state functions in each 'region' of the potential.

--Done, no problem.

b)Find four relations among the five arbitrary constants in part a).

--Again, no problem

c) Use relations in part b) to equate transmission coefficient.

--Part c) is the problem, I have no idea what to do...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a)

Region I: x<0 : psi(x)= A exp[i k x] + B exp [-i k x]

Region II: 0<x<a: psi(x)= C exp [K x]+ D exp [-K x]

Region III x>a : psi(x)= E exp [i k x]

[tex]\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }i \hbar \pd{\Psi}{t}{} =- \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \ \pd{\Psi}{x}{2} + V \Psi[/tex]

k^2= 2mE/hbar^2
K62= 2m(E-v)/hbar^2

c) took derivative of psi I = derivative psi II, at x=o.

Derivative psi II = derivative psi III, at x=a

psi(o)I=psi(0)II

psi(a)II=psi(a)III

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to linearly add:

psi(0)I + d/dx psi(o)I = psi(o)II + d/dx psi(o)II

and same for when x=a for psi II and III.

I attempted to eliminate C and D constants, and solve for E. I let A =1 (thinking other waves than the incident have some multiple of amplitude.)

I thought that abs(E)^2= transmittion coeficient, is this not true? And B would be the reflection coefficient?

Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
The transmission coefficient represents the probability flux of the transmitted wave relative to that of the incident wave.
I hope this help you

ziad1985 said:
The transmission coefficient represents the probability flux of the transmitted wave relative to that of the incident wave.
I hope this help you

Ok, so the probability of incident wave over transmitted?

How do I get there from general solutions though?

(A*A)/(E*E) ?

ziad1985 said:
I hope this help you

I finally figured it out.

Eliminate coefficients of general solution for inside the barrier by applying boundry conditions at x=0, x=a.

Solve for coefficient of transmission, take abs, square it, bam, it's done.

1. What is a quantum rectangular barrier?

A quantum rectangular barrier is a type of potential energy barrier that arises in quantum mechanics. It is a potential energy barrier with a rectangular shape, where the potential energy is higher inside the barrier than outside.

2. How does a quantum rectangular barrier work?

A quantum rectangular barrier works by creating a potential energy barrier that particles must overcome in order to pass through it. This barrier is created by a difference in potential energy, which is represented by the rectangular shape of the barrier.

3. What is the significance of a quantum rectangular barrier?

The significance of a quantum rectangular barrier lies in its role in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and is essential in many fields such as solid-state physics, electronics, and quantum computing.

4. What are the properties of a quantum rectangular barrier?

Some important properties of a quantum rectangular barrier include its height, width, and shape, which determine the strength and shape of the potential energy barrier. Additionally, the transmission and reflection coefficients of the barrier can be calculated, which describe the probability of a particle passing through or being reflected by the barrier.

5. How is a quantum rectangular barrier experimentally observed?

A quantum rectangular barrier can be observed experimentally through various techniques, such as electron microscopy or scanning tunneling microscopy. In these experiments, particles are sent towards the barrier and their behavior is measured to determine the properties of the barrier and its effects on the particles.