Can You Succeed in Abstract Algebra Without Taking Calculus 3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of taking an abstract algebra course concurrently with calculus 3. It is stated that abstract algebra is typically an independent course from calculus, but may require some basic knowledge of set theory. The difficulty of the course is subjective, but it is mentioned that being good at writing proofs should be helpful. The conversation also touches on the relevance of abstract algebra to physics and the course description. It is mentioned that abstract algebra is typically considered a course for mathematicians and may have different prerequisites depending on the school.
tronter
I am currently signed up for an intro abstract algebra course. I will be taking this course and calculus 3(stewart's book). I am pretty good at writing proofs. Do you have to know calculus 3 to do well in abstract algebra? Or can you take it concurrently? Is abstract algebra considered a difficult course? So to sum up, I am taking abstract algebra and calculus 3.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abstract Algebra, at least a first course, should be completely independent of calculus, although it will likely require some basic knowledge of set theory. So taking the two classes together should not pose any problems, as far as difficulty that is a rather subjective thing, if you say you are pretty good at writing proofs, however, you should be able to handle the class well.

thanks a lot. It seems like a very interesting subject.

tronter said:
thanks a lot. It seems like a very interesting subject.

I think it is, it is one of my favorite subjects in mathematics.

btw, is it a course for mathmeaticians or for physicists?

loop quantum gravity said:
btw, is it a course for mathmeaticians or for physicists?
There are ideas in abstract algebra that are very important for physics. Of course, it's up to the professor as to what is actually taught, and with what emphasis.

Hurkyl said:
There are ideas in abstract algebra that are very important for physics. Of course, it's up to the professor as to what is actually taught, and with what emphasis.
yes i know, there're courses in abstract algebra also for physiciists, this is why i asked what iv'e asked.

this is a course for mathematicians. its an intro course.

at my school, linear algebra is a prereq, and that is typically taken after calculus 3. :/

(then again, the linear algebra class is treated as a weed course at my school, so ymmv.)

What's the course description?

At my school abstract algebra is one of the hardest math courses, besides real analysis, of course. I suppose if you are good at proofs, you should be fine. I really don't see how Calc III and Abs. Alg. have anything in common.

1. Can I understand abstract algebra without taking calculus 3?

Yes, it is possible to understand abstract algebra without taking calculus 3. While knowledge of calculus can be helpful in understanding some concepts in abstract algebra, it is not a prerequisite for learning the subject. Abstract algebra is its own branch of mathematics and has its own set of principles and theories that can be studied independently.

2. Will not taking calculus 3 affect my ability to succeed in abstract algebra?

No, not taking calculus 3 will not necessarily affect your ability to succeed in abstract algebra. While some concepts in abstract algebra may involve calculus, they can be taught and understood in a way that does not require previous knowledge of calculus. With dedication and effort, anyone can succeed in abstract algebra regardless of their background in calculus.

3. What are the main topics covered in abstract algebra that may require knowledge of calculus?

Some of the main topics in abstract algebra that may involve calculus are group theory, ring theory, and field theory. These topics may use concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, but they can also be approached using other methods and techniques.

4. Can I take abstract algebra before taking calculus 3?

Yes, you can take abstract algebra before taking calculus 3. While some universities may have a recommended sequence for these courses, it is not a requirement. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and basic mathematical concepts before diving into abstract algebra, but the order in which you take the courses is not set in stone.

5. How can I prepare for abstract algebra if I have not taken calculus 3?

If you have not taken calculus 3 but want to prepare for abstract algebra, you can review basic algebra and mathematical concepts such as functions, equations, and matrices. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the fundamental principles of abstract algebra, such as groups, rings, and fields, before taking the course.