Superconductors can allow a current to flow indefinately

In summary: ZapperZ, I read the page you linked. It says, "Next they illuminate the SQUID with microwaves which excite the system to a clockwise state with higher energy," in order to change the state.Assuming that someday room temperature superconductors are avilable, would it be possible to use them as some sort of RAM hybrid for a computer?Yes, it is possible to use room temperature superconductors as RAMs. Information could be stored indefinately, almost like using a harddrive, but much faster access time.
Jade Falcon
Superconductors can allow a current to flow indefinately. Assuming that someday room temperature superconductors are avilable, would it be possible to use them as some sort of RAM hybrid for a computer? Could information be stored indefinately, almost like using a harddrive, but much faster access time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you picturing a bunch of little superconducting loops, each of which stores a bit of information? So that when you turn off the computer, the currents continue indefinitely, one clock direction representing 0, the opposite clock direction representing 1?

I wonder if the process of measuring the direction of current would destroy the current if the loop is really tiny--tiny enough to make for compact storage of data on a par with today's technology for data storage.

Janitor said:
Are you picturing a bunch of little superconducting loops, each of which stores a bit of information? So that when you turn off the computer, the currents continue indefinitely, one clock direction representing 0, the opposite clock direction representing 1?

I wonder if the process of measuring the direction of current would destroy the current if the loop is really tiny--tiny enough to make for compact storage of data on a par with today's technology for data storage.

Actually, in SQUIDS experiment, those tiny loops can contain current flowing in BOTH directions simultaneously. That's the essence of the QM superposition. So your "qubits" can be 0, 1, and a mixture of both - similar to a schrodinger cat-type states. One can detect this via the energy difference between the two superposition states.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/4/7/2/1

Zz.

ZapperZ, I read the page you linked. It says, "Next they illuminate the SQUID with microwaves which excite the system to a clockwise state with higher energy," in order to change the state.

I picture microwaves as being mighty broad brushes to paint bits with--on the order of centimeters in size. So in practice, can this technique ever be practical for a high-density information storage device?

Janitor said:
ZapperZ, I read the page you linked. It says, "Next they illuminate the SQUID with microwaves which excite the system to a clockwise state with higher energy," in order to change the state.

I picture microwaves as being mighty broad brushes to paint bits with--on the order of centimeters in size. So in practice, can this technique ever be practical for a high-density information storage device?

Probabily not. I think the qubits in quantum computing will probably be created in another type of medium, rather than loops of circulating supercurrents such as this.

Zz.

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has zero electrical resistance and expels magnetic fields, allowing for a current to flow indefinitely without any loss of energy.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to flow through the material without any resistance, due to a phenomenon called Cooper pairing. This pairing allows the electrons to move in unison, creating a continuous flow of current.

3. What are the practical applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices, high-speed trains, and power transmission lines. They are also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. What are the challenges in using superconductors?

One of the main challenges in using superconductors is the need to keep them at extremely low temperatures, often below -200 degrees Celsius. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems, making widespread use of superconductors difficult and costly.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using superconductors?

While superconductors have many advantages, there are also potential drawbacks to their use. These include the high costs associated with maintaining low temperatures, as well as the potential for instability and loss of superconductivity under certain conditions, such as high magnetic fields.