Area of the Circle and Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple proof for the area of a circle using probability and the concept of similarity between figures. The method is known as the Monte Carlo method and is well-known in mathematics. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a deeper and more general result related to this method.
musicheck
(Apologies for the lack of latex)
I was thinking today about simple ways of proving that the area of a circle is pi*r^2, and I came up with the following argument using probability. I googled around for similar arguments, and I found nothing. I am curious if there is a deeper and more general result this could be a special case of, or if there if anyone else knows of something relating to this.

We know that the area of a square of side length r is r^2. Consider the unit circle centered at the origin, and a circle of radius R centered at the origin. We randomly select two numbers N and M from [-1,1], with uniform distribution. The probability that N^2+M^2<=1 is thus the ratio of the area of the unit circle to the area of a square of side length 2. Now we randomly select two numbers N' and M' from [-R,R]. The probability that N'^2+M'^2<=R^2 is the ratio of the area of the circle of radius R to the area of a square of side length 2R. However, our random selection from [-R,R] is the same as a random selection from [-1,1] and then multiplying by R. Thus, we can calculate that N'^2+M'^2<=r^2 has the same probability as N^2+M^2<=1. Thus, the area of a circle of radius R is proportional to the area of a square of side length 2R. It follows that the area of a circle of radius R has area pi*R^2, for some constant pi.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is an elementary geometry fact that if you have two figures that are similar, the areas are proportional to the square of the ratio of linear dimension. The more difficult problem is the evaluation of pi, not that it is a constant.

I agree that this is a very simple fact. What struck me was that I had never thought of this method of proof as very relevant to geometry, and I was wondering if people knew whether this method (or a generalization of it) of attacking a problem can yield something more fruitful.

The method you are talking about, more generally called a "MonteCarlo" method is quite well known in mathematics.

Thank you very much HallsofIvy. I had heard that name before, but I didn't know what it was. I'm glad to hear that it is well known, and I look forward to finding a book to read about it.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. π is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 3.14.

2. How do you calculate the probability of a certain event occurring?

The probability of an event occurring is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can also be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the relationship between the area of a circle and its probability?

There is no direct relationship between the area of a circle and its probability. However, the area of a circle can be used to find the probability of a randomly chosen point falling within the circle.

4. How does the size of a circle affect its probability?

The size of a circle does not affect its probability. The probability is only influenced by the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is certain not to occur. Any value outside of this range is not considered a valid probability.