International talk like a pirate day

In summary, this is a day to celebrate all that is piratical. Wear your best clothes, drink lots of alcohol, and be ready for anything.
Huckleberry
http://anthropik.com/wp-uploads/PIRATE.jpg​
That's right! It be that time of year again. So strap up yer boots, don yer favorite cover and hoist the jolly roger, because it be time to set sail. Whether yer pleasure be grog and wenches or cannons broadside or wealth beyond measure, this be yer day. The ships be ready to raise anchor so be on your best, worst behavior and speak like the pirate you are. Let no man, woman or child within gulls sight of the seven seas forget that today be yer day of infamy!

YARRRR!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new at this, so here goes nothing. Shiver my timbers. How'd I do?

Harrr! Is that all ye got? Why, you ain't got enough wind in yer sails to get a dingy across a mud puddle. Tilt yer head back and bottoms up, boy. Take a shot of the rot, and put that fire back in yer gut. You'll need to do better then that if you plan on avoidin' Davey Jones' locker, you will.

Seein' as how I have a soft spot for greenhorns such as yerself I'll let you be a deckhand on me ship. I be searchin' the ports for news a that scruvy seadog Captain Pillowhead. So keep yer head on a swivel and a snap in yer step, cause she's a crafty, old hag and I'd rather be catchin her broadsides unawares.

I see your point. This is completely out of character, but here goes: shiver my timbers. Better?

Wait, I think I got it. SHIVER MY TIMBERS, YOU UNSAVOURY RAPSCALLION, please.

Last edited:
Harr harrr! Well, that be a course I'm not won't to sailin', but I thinks ye' be gettin' the spirit of the piratin' season. Alas, 'tis a shame that pirate talk day only comes but once a year. The world be overly abundant in gibberish and fancy talk and needin' a lot more colorfully placed apostrophes.

And fer yer information, no self-respectin' pirate be sayin' 'my.' We only use the objective pronouns 'me' and we,' never the possessive forms 'my' and 'our.' That be 'cause any pirate worth his salt knows that person's possessions are objective. Yarr harrr!

And before I go let me ply yer ear with a stroke of pirate humor.
What be the same betwixt pirate and pimp?
We both says YO HO!
Yarrrr harrr!

Huckleberry said:
We both says YO HO!
Harrrrrdy harrrgh harrrrgh! You might get two miles to the galleon with that one, no more.

Yarrr! Are ye sayin that ye don't talk like a pirate year roun?

Blistering Barnacles! Come back here you misanthropes!

Can I take today off as a religious holiday then - me hearties?
-may you be blessed by his noodly appendage.

Washi wa kaizoku da zo!

That's Japanese for "I'm a pirate y'know". Just thought I'd put the international in ITLPD.

It gladdens me heart to see me maties joinin' in the celebration. A round of grog on me! No, not ON me you blubbery baboons! Yaarrrr! Ya know what I means. One more down the gullet.

mattmns said:
Yarrr! Are ye sayin that ye don't talk like a pirate year roun?
Thar be no ill-gotten booty greater than the pleasure it would give me to speak as a pirate year roun'. However, as pleasant an endeavor as that may be, I doubt the wench that employs me would appreciate me callin' her such. What be the world comin' to when salty dog pirates such as meself labor at an honest livin' when we should be lobbin' iron over wooden hulls, or through it as the case may be. Yarr! How I long to fly the colours of me heart and raise me jolly roger to the world in more than a figurative manner.

Last edited:
YARR! Yes! It be talk lyke a pyrate day! I been celebrating this here day longe' then I hav' this here peg leg! Yar Huckleberry, thar be no ill'gotton booty greater than the preasure it would give almost anyone who has sailed the seven great seas to flap thar jaws like yars truly, a pirate.

Don't be blowin' up me skirt so fast there matey. There be pirates about these waters that can flap far more proficiently than I. If only they could hold their liqueur as proficiently they would be here waggin' their salty tongues at me 'til I was little more than the dirty rag on some brat's bottom. They got barnacles for teeth and tentacles for tongues, gullets like stove pipes and guts like a witches cauldron, but no mortal were meant to play 'one hundred bottles of rum on the wall' till it's very end. I fear they be risin' from their slumber soon with a terrible fury that would send the leviathan hisself back to the bottom of the depths to hide under Davey's axillary region.

We'll I'll be a bilge rat if it ain't ITLAPD!

YAAARRRR!

Then you be no bilge rat 'cause it be ITLAPD as certain as Neptune's mossy beard.

Say, have you perchance caught wind of the infamous piratess Captain Pillowhead? And where be the sisters? There be too many cutlasses a swingin' in this den of mangy jackals. There be no party without the pretties.

Huckleberry said:
Say, have you perchance caught wind of the infamous piratess Captain Pillowhead?
'Tis been awhile since Captain Pillowhead has been sighted. First Mate Math Is Hard has been sighted, and Cap'n Moonbear should be sailin' into the Cove soon.

YAAAAAAHHHHHRRRHHHHHHHHHH!

Avast, me hearties! Where's me grog and me polly?

YAAARRRRHHHH! There be MIH, or be it Cap'n MIH now?

Anyone spotted the S.S. Moonbear?

Evo said:
the S.S. Moonbear
S.S. means steamship, ye landlubber. But I won't be hard on ye, for I know ye to be a good lass who always sends what she steals to her mother.

Evo said:
YAAARRRRHHHH! There be MIH, or be it Cap'n MIH now?

There still be five more classes 'n' two pirate labs t' go before I can become cap'n.. :frown:

jimmysnyder said:
..for I know ye to be a good lass who always sends what she steals to her mother.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: A mark of fine character, that!

ARRR! I be the fiece pirate Correct Jeans! My expertise is greater than Davy Jones' at takin' the lives of the weak sailors of the seven seas! I give a challenge to all ye! Yer cannons are no match for mine! yar har har!

Alas, me flagon be empty and me belly full of grog. Looks like I won't be sending me burly cutthroats to grapple aboard Pillowhead's vessel this year. I hear the siren song callin' me dizzy head to a pillow all me own. There I'll rest in glorious battle with Captain Pillowhead until the morn secure with the knowledge that pirates be talkin' this fine day.

Fair winds and following seas. And if nature sees fit to harry yer journey with either tumult or torpidity, keep an even keel and follow the swallows home.

I started a similar thread in two other forums, I was not sure if you guys could handle this.

Fun crowd, a day late YHARRRRRRRRRRR...YE BE WARNED

Yarrr, ye go fine me wenches and rum, yarrrrrr!

Iff'en meself be a'weern the Jolly Rodger on me vessal, you best not to be speakin of da lassies here as Wenches. Or we be a ti'en ye up, and leves you someplace we be likely ta remember, in case we be need'in ye agern. Now plese be pass'in that tankard o' devils Spit.

heh heh heh

http://dailytroll.com/images/BizarroPirate.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
S.S. means steamship, ye landlubber. But I won't be hard on ye, for I know ye to be a good lass who always sends what she steals to her mother.
Yaaarrrhh! Steamship? What good be that, ye fishmouthed scum?! Ne'er's there been a worthier vessel than the Sailing Ship Moonbear.

Yo...

Gokul43201 said:
Yaaarrrhh! Steamship? What good be that, ye fishmouthed scum?! Ne'er's there been a worthier vessel than the Sailing Ship Moonbear.
Them what knows ... Excuse me, holiday's over. Those who know their boats might use S.S for sailing ship, we who know ships realize that S.S. on a ship does stand for Steam Ship. Before steam ships, all vessels were sailing ships, and the designation would not have made any sense. I'll have to admit that the usage has become so blurred that today it might mean nothing more than boat like the S.S. Minnow. Do I really have a fishmouth, or were you just writing in character?

Ivan Seeking said:
Yo...

Must be a getto pirate

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
'Tis been awhile since Captain Pillowhead has been sighted. First Mate Math Is Hard has been sighted, and Cap'n Moonbear should be sailin' into the Cove soon.

YAAAAARGH! Yer be a damned fool ta think this ole cap'n dropped anchor too far to keep an eye on ye scurvy land lubbers!

Huckleberry, ye blasted scoundrel! You be right grungy ye are, having dreams of battlin' the likes of Captain Pillowhead. That be a merry yarn indeed. ARRR! The rest of ye scallywags be wary. Yer tongues may speak fine words one day a year, But ye be swinging the lead the rest! Aye, the black spot be waitin' for any of ye who be fool enough ta think of tryin' yer luck against the Captain. AARGH!

<h2>1. What is International Talk Like a Pirate Day?</h2><p>International Talk Like a Pirate Day is a holiday that is celebrated on September 19th every year. It is a fun and lighthearted day where people around the world speak in pirate slang and dress up as pirates to celebrate the pirate culture.</p><h2>2. When did International Talk Like a Pirate Day start?</h2><p>International Talk Like a Pirate Day was started in 1995 by two friends, John Baur and Mark Summers. They wanted to create a holiday that was fun and silly, and it has since become a popular holiday celebrated by people of all ages.</p><h2>3. How do I talk like a pirate?</h2><p>To talk like a pirate, you can use common pirate phrases such as "Ahoy matey!", "Shiver me timbers!", and "Yo ho ho!". You can also replace certain words with pirate slang, such as "me" instead of "my" and "ye" instead of "you". It's all about having fun and being creative with your language.</p><h2>4. Do I have to dress up as a pirate on International Talk Like a Pirate Day?</h2><p>No, dressing up as a pirate is not required on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. It is completely up to you if you want to dress up or not. Some people may choose to wear a simple pirate hat or bandana, while others may go all out with a full pirate costume.</p><h2>5. Can anyone celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day?</h2><p>Yes, anyone can celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day! It is a holiday that is meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. It's a great way to have some fun and let loose for a day.</p>

1. What is International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

International Talk Like a Pirate Day is a holiday that is celebrated on September 19th every year. It is a fun and lighthearted day where people around the world speak in pirate slang and dress up as pirates to celebrate the pirate culture.

2. When did International Talk Like a Pirate Day start?

International Talk Like a Pirate Day was started in 1995 by two friends, John Baur and Mark Summers. They wanted to create a holiday that was fun and silly, and it has since become a popular holiday celebrated by people of all ages.

3. How do I talk like a pirate?

To talk like a pirate, you can use common pirate phrases such as "Ahoy matey!", "Shiver me timbers!", and "Yo ho ho!". You can also replace certain words with pirate slang, such as "me" instead of "my" and "ye" instead of "you". It's all about having fun and being creative with your language.

4. Do I have to dress up as a pirate on International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

No, dressing up as a pirate is not required on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. It is completely up to you if you want to dress up or not. Some people may choose to wear a simple pirate hat or bandana, while others may go all out with a full pirate costume.

5. Can anyone celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Yes, anyone can celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day! It is a holiday that is meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. It's a great way to have some fun and let loose for a day.