Forbidden LEGO: Building Unconventional Models

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Forbidden LEGO" which showcases unconventional and creative builds using LEGO bricks. The authors, Ulrik Pilegaard and Mike Dooley, were inspired by LEGO's policy against making military toys and created models such as elastic band powered guns and ballpoint pen crossbows. The conversation also includes jokes about using these models as weapons and the possibility of invading Denmark for their LEGO firepower.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316734,00.html

http://nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=flego_extras
Forbidden LEGO
Build the Models Your Parents Warned You Against

by Ulrik Pilegaard and Mike Dooley
http://www.tinker.tv/downloads/forbidden_lego_gun.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only found out about LEGO's policy on not making military toys about 20years later.

The first things I built were elastic band powered guns to fire blocks at the a natural target known as "younger brother" (the cat was too fast)
I even had a semi-automatic self-loading sub machine gun and a ballpoint pen crossbow.

mgb_phys said:
The first things I built were elastic band powered guns to fire blocks at the a natural target known as "younger brother" (the cat was too fast)

:rofl:

Normal kid - Mom says to stop throwing blocks, kid says, "Awwww, okay." :grumpy:

Smart kid - Mom says to stop throwing blocks, kid says, "Oh, okay, then I'll build an elastic band powered gun to launch them!" :biggrin:

I want one!

ok, the long red sticks are the cartridges, and there seems to be a hammer... so its an immitation of an average handgun... wheres the trigger?

nabki said:
ok, the long red sticks are the cartridges, and there seems to be a hammer... so its an immitation of an average handgun... wheres the trigger?

Near as I can tell there is a motor hooked up to it, so probably automated, and therefore no trigger.

If Denmark has a motor+elastic band powered lego firing capabilty should we invade them?

1. What is "Forbidden LEGO: Building Unconventional Models" about?

"Forbidden LEGO: Building Unconventional Models" is a book written by LEGO enthusiast and former LEGO designer, Ulrik Pilegaard and Mike Dooley. It features unconventional and unique LEGO builds that go beyond the traditional and official LEGO sets.

2. Is "Forbidden LEGO" appropriate for children?

No, "Forbidden LEGO" is not appropriate for children. The book contains complex and potentially dangerous builds that require adult supervision and caution.

3. Can I use regular LEGO bricks to build the models in the book?

Yes, the book primarily uses regular LEGO bricks and pieces that can be found in any standard LEGO set. However, some builds may require specific or hard-to-find pieces.

4. Are there step-by-step instructions for the builds in the book?

Yes, the book includes detailed step-by-step instructions for each build, along with full-color photographs and diagrams to guide you through the process.

5. Can I modify the builds in "Forbidden LEGO" to fit my own ideas?

Absolutely! The book encourages readers to use its builds as inspiration and to take them in their own creative directions. There are no limits to what you can create with LEGO bricks.