Heat Conduction in a Cube: Calculating Temperature Over Time

In summary, heat will spread more slowly through a cube made of non-insulating material than through an insulated cube, and it will be more difficult to calculate the temperature at different distances into the cube after different amounts of time have elapsed.
PPMC
If heat is applied to one side of a cube, how can the temperature at different distances into the cube be calculated after different amounts of time have elapsed?

Science news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking at the wikipedia entry for heat conduction?

but the flow of heat isn't linear it will escape from the sides of the cube

well? how can i solve?

There's a lot of unknown variables:

What material is the 'cube' made from?

what is the temperature starting?--how much is applied?

is it in a vacuum?

is the heat applied to a side? (where on the side?) or to a corner of the side?

how big is the cube?

What is the method of applying the heat?

Last edited:
its not in a vacuum, its in air, it starts at the same temperature as the surroundings, the heat is applied to one full square side of the cube. If the sides of the cube were insulate then i could use Fourier's law however they are not so heat will be lost as it spreads throughout the cube at a different rate as the heated surface area will increase. It should be possible to calculate but I can't figure it out...

Since you're building a mathematical model for this,

- What's the differential which governs the temperature of the cube as a function of time and distance?
- What is the boundary condition at each of the faces of the cube? Is the heat influx constant at one face, or is the temperature kept constant?

Check the relevant chapters in your text. It should have what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I just tried heating a cube of butter...

I agree with siddarth. This is the basic heat conduction differential equation with some specified material properties and boundary conditions. Refer to your textbook on how to set up the problem.

My guess is that the resulting partial differential equation won't have an analytical solution and you will need to use a numerical solver. If you are familiar with MATLAB or mathematica they should be able to meet your needs.

Last edited:
And, if you can accept an approximate answer, FEA is the easy way to do this.

1. How do you calculate temperature over time in a cube?

In order to calculate temperature over time in a cube, you must first determine the thermal conductivity of the material the cube is made of. Then, you can use the formula Q = (kA(T2-T1))/d, where Q is the heat flow, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area of the cube, T2 is the initial temperature, T1 is the final temperature, and d is the thickness of the cube.

2. What factors affect heat conduction in a cube?

The factors that affect heat conduction in a cube include the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area of the cube, the initial and final temperatures, and the thickness of the cube.

3. How does heat transfer in a cube affect its temperature over time?

As heat is transferred through the cube, it causes the temperature to change over time. The rate and amount of temperature change depend on the factors mentioned above, such as thermal conductivity, surface area, and initial and final temperatures.

4. Can heat conduction in a cube be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as the surrounding temperature and air flow can also affect heat conduction in a cube. These factors can impact the rate at which heat is transferred and therefore impact the temperature change over time.

5. How can the results of heat conduction in a cube be useful?

The results of heat conduction in a cube can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications. For example, understanding how heat is transferred in a cube can help in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, determining the thermal properties of different materials, and predicting the behavior of objects in extreme temperature environments.