How to Calculate Volume of a Rotated Graph Using the Shell Method?

In summary, the task is to find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the area between the curves x = 1, y = x^2, and y = 0 around the x-axis. This can be solved using the cylindrical shell method or by finding the points of intersection and using the formula \pi\int_0^1\ (x^2)dx. The result is \pi/5.
tbone413

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid found by rotating the area bound between
the curves x = 1, y = x^2, y = 0, around x-axis.

Homework Equations

I know you have to solve this using the shell method, but I just get extremely confused while trying to do it. Maybe someone could explain it to me?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the formula for the cylindrical shell method:
[tex]\int_a^b2\pi xf(x)dx[/tex]
you can also use [tex]\int_a^bA(x)dx[/tex]
The second one would be easier.

Last edited:
Sorry! I was mistaken when I said the area was unbounded. The first thing you need to do is find where these curves intersect and determine the leftmost and rightmost boundaries of X.

Normally to find points of intersection you would set the two curves you wish to find the x values that satisythis equation. However they are much more easily found in this particular problem by drawing a quick sketch. It comes out at x=0 to x=1

Also, this does not require shell method at all. Shell method is for when you cannot create an infinite number of lines between between your boundaries that is perpundicular to your axis of revolution such that one of those lines would hit the same curve twice. In this case all you need to is:
[tex]\pi\int_0^1\ (x^2)dx[/tex]

Soup said:
[tex]\pi\int_0^1\ (x^2)dx[/tex]

Should be (f(x))^2.

Would that end up being...

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}(\pi r^2)dx[/tex]

where r = "Outer radius" (1) minus "inner radius" ([tex]x^2[/tex])

?

(I hope so, I have a test tomorrow)

No, because x = 1 is the vertical boundary in your integration sign.

Snazzy said:
No, because x = 1 is the vertical boundary in your integration sign.

Ok...I think I get it.

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}\pi (x^2)^2 dx[/tex]

= [tex]\pi*\int^{1}_{0}x^4 dx[/tex]

= [tex]\pi*(1^5/5-0)[/tex]

= [tex]\pi/5[/tex]

Is that right?

Looks right.

I should've said x = 1 is the vertical line that limits how far horizontally you should integrate.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a rotated graph?

The formula for finding the volume of a rotated graph is V = π∫ab[f(x)]2dx, where π is the constant pi, a and b are the limits of integration, and f(x) is the function being rotated around the axis.

2. How do you know which axis to rotate a graph around?

The axis of rotation is typically specified in the problem or can be determined by analyzing the graph. If the graph is a function of x, then it should be rotated around the y-axis. If the graph is a function of y, then it should be rotated around the x-axis.

3. Can the volume of a rotated graph be negative?

No, the volume of a rotated graph cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value. If the calculated volume is negative, then there may be an error in the calculation or the limits of integration were set incorrectly.

4. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a solid of rotation?

A solid of revolution is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis, while a solid of rotation is created by rotating a three-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using a single integral, while the volume of a solid of rotation requires a double integral.

5. Can you find the volume of a rotated graph using only geometry?

Yes, the volume of a rotated graph can be found using geometry if the graph is a known shape such as a cylinder, cone, or sphere. In these cases, the volume can be calculated using specific formulas for each shape. However, for more complex shapes, integration is necessary to find the volume accurately.