In Complex Numbers: Get Help Now

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem and the need for the person to show an attempt or their thoughts on the question before receiving assistance. The person is also reminded to not post attachments and instead type out the information. An explanation is given on how to write a general complex number in exponential form and how it relates to ln z. It is also mentioned that the use of "ln" instead of "log" may be incorrect depending on the textbook's convention.
m_s_a
hi,
please help me

Attachments

• ؤؤؤؤؤؤؤؤ.bmp
    246.1 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show work attempting to the problem.

DavidWhitbeck said:
Please show work attempting to the problem.

I want the understanding of way that led us to this result

@m s a: yeah.. we get that.. and what we need is that you show that you've solved something in this problem.. or atleast made an effort in this direction.

rohanprabhu said:
@m s a: yeah.. we get that.. and what we need is that you show that you've solved something in this problem.. or atleast made an effort in this direction.

If I was knowing the way to what asked

m_s_a,

According to the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" you are required to show an attempt or detail your thoughts on a homework question before we can provide assistance.

You just have some idea how to prove the identity or else you wouldn't have been asked to prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
m_s_a, if you are really blocked, tell us the relation between log and exp, and then reflect on it.

m_s_a said:
Like this:

Things would go much faster if you could convey simple information in some other way besides .bmp attachments. Those have to be approved before anyone can see them.

Dick said:
m_s_a, if you are really blocked, tell us the relation between log and exp, and then reflect on it.

like this:

Attachments

• log.bmp
    239.1 KB · Views: 527
m_s_a, can you write a general complex number, z, in exponential form?

So you are saying
If y= ln(z) then z= ey

Now, if y= a+ bi, what is ey?
(and remember that ep+q= epeq)

I came to this result then do it is right or no ?

Attachments

• Logz.JPG
    Logz.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 432
Is there some reason why you insist upon posting attachments after you have been told its a bad idea?
It's not all that difficult to type:
(this would look much nicer in LaTex but I have typed it in ASCII)
z= |z|e^(i theta)
ln z= ln |z| e^(i theta) (Well, ln z= ln(z e^(i theta)) is correct)
ln z= ln |z|+ ln(e^i theta)
ln z= ln |z|+ i ln(theta)

i.e. log(z)= ln z

Assuming that your textbook has specified a convention that natural logarithm applied to complex numbers will be designated by "log", which is implied by the question itself, then it is not correct to write "ln z". Other than that, what you wrote is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is denoted by the letter "i" which represents the square root of -1. The general form of a complex number is a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

How do I perform operations with complex numbers?

To perform addition or subtraction with complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method as you would with binomials. To divide complex numbers, use the complex conjugate to eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator.

What is the purpose of using complex numbers?

Complex numbers are useful in many fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly helpful in solving equations that involve imaginary numbers, such as in electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and Fourier analysis.

How do I graph complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a two-dimensional coordinate system called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is represented on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis. The point where the two parts intersect is the location of the complex number on the plane.

Where can I get help with complex numbers?

There are many online resources available for help with complex numbers, including tutorials, practice problems, and forums for asking questions. You can also seek help from a math tutor or your teacher if you are struggling with understanding and solving complex number problems.