Infinite square well eigen-energies

In summary, if you place the well centered about the origin, then the spectrum and wave function will be the same.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

Usually when we solve the problem of the infinite square well we place one wall at the origin and the other one at, say 2L (please notice the 2).
We get the eigen-energies
[tex]E_n = {{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}\over{8ma^2}}[/tex]
and the eigen-functions
[tex]\psi_n = \sqrt{1\over a}\sin{\left({n\pi\over{2a}}x\right)}[/tex].
My question is this: If instead we placed the well centered about the origin such that the walls are at -L and +L, do we get the same spectrum, and the wave functions shifted left by L, i.e.
[tex]\psi_n = \sqrt{1\over a}\sin{\left({n\pi\over{2a}}(x+L)\right)}[/tex].
?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thing is, when I do it from scratch, I don't get these wavefunctions. I get a combination of sin and cos.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that [tex] a [/tex] should really be [tex] L [/tex]. Your wave function is correct, since it satisfies the proper differential equation, namely [tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\psi''(x) = E \psi(x)[/tex] and initial conditions [tex] \psi(-L) = \psi(L) = 0 [/tex]. Note that in general a sum of sin and cos can be written as a sin (or cos) with a phase shift. If you combined your combination of sin and cos you should get the desired wave function.

Pacopag said:
My question is this: If instead we placed the well centered about the origin such that the walls are at -L and +L, do we get the same spectrum, and the wave functions shifted left by L, i.e.
[tex]\psi_n = \sqrt{1\over a}\sin{\left({n\pi\over{2a}}(x+L)\right)}[/tex].
?

The Attempt at a Solution

Thing is, when I do it from scratch, I don't get these wavefunctions. I get a combination of sin and cos.

Set up the Schrodinger equation and apply the new boundary conditions and see. You should get the same General solution since you are not changing the length of the well. If you are increasing the length "L" you will see a change in the spectrum. Also, the functions are combinations of sine and cosines (alternately even and odd wrt the center). Hint: Either the Sine term or cosine term disappears in each state...Can you solve it now?

Last edited:
Ok. It makes sense now. Thank you for your replies.

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle confined within a well with infinitely high walls and a finite width. This model is used to understand the energy levels and eigenfunctions of a particle in a confined space.

2. What are eigen-energies in an infinite square well?

Eigen-energies are the quantized energy levels that a particle can have in an infinite square well. These energies are determined by the wavelength and frequency of the particle's wave function, and they are always positive and discrete values.

3. How are eigen-energies calculated in an infinite square well?

The eigen-energies of an infinite square well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and the boundary conditions of the well. The solutions to this equation are the eigenfunctions, and the corresponding eigen-energies are determined by the allowed values of the particle's momentum.

4. What is the significance of the lowest eigen-energy in an infinite square well?

The lowest eigen-energy in an infinite square well is known as the ground state energy. It represents the minimum energy that a particle can have in the well and is the starting point for calculating the higher energy levels. It also has the highest probability of being measured when the particle is in the well.

5. Can the eigen-energies in an infinite square well be degenerate?

No, the eigen-energies in an infinite square well cannot be degenerate. This is because the well has infinite potential walls, which means that the particle can only have a unique energy at each level. In other words, there are no two states with the same energy in an infinite square well.