Finding Horizontal/Vertical Tangents for x=(3t)/(1+t^3), y=(3t^2)/(1+t^3)

• Thread starter mzmad
  • Start date
In summary, the coordinates of the points where a horizontal or vertical tangent occurs for the curve x=(3t)/(1+t^3), y=(3t^2)/(1+t^3) from -inf to inf are (0,0), (2^1/3,0), and (inf,inf). The horizontal tangents occur at t=0 and t=2^1/3, while the vertical tangent occurs at t=inf.
mzmad
Give the (x,y) coordinate of each point where a horizontal/vertical tangent for the curve: x=(3t)/(1+t^3), y=(3t^2)/(1+t^3). from -inf to inf.

Can someone please guide me through this?! I'm not sure where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chain rule?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

Horizontal tangents => dy/dx = 0

Vertical tangents => dy/dx = undef.

Horizontal Tangent: dy/dt= (3t^2)/(1+t^3)= -3t(t^3-2)/(t^3+1)^2=0. How do I solve?

Assuming you did the derivative correctly, setting the numerator equal to zero will give you the horizontal tangents as long as the denominator is a non-zero.

Setting the denominator of dy/dx equal to zero will give you an undefined slope, meaning the tangent line is vertical.

Last edited:
horizontal tan dy/dt=o=3t(t^3-2)/(1+t^3)^2, t=0, -2^1/3, 2^1/3.?

Looks right.

and so my coordinated would be (x,y)=(0,0), (-2^1/3,0), and (2^1/3,0)??

You solved for the parameter value t for when the derivative is 0. However x and y are both functions of t, so you still need to find x and y

ahhh, I see. (0,0)(3*2^1/3)/(1+(2^1/3)^3),0) and -3*2^1/3/(1-(2^1/3)^3),0) ?

"horizontal tan dy/dt..."

The coordinates of this curve are defined in terms of a parameter t.

The tangent to the curve is not dy/dt, it is dy/dx. To find dy/dx, there are two possibilities.

You solve one of the given equations for either x or y (depending on which equation you choose), subtitute into the other equation and get y in terms of x, then differentiate to get dy/dx. It would be messy to do so in this case.

Or, use the chain rule.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}^{-1}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{-3t^{4} + 6t}{(1 + t^{3})^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{(1 + t^{3})^{2}}{-6t^{3} + 3t}[/tex] =...

Simplify and set = 0; solve for t; sub into the original equations to get (x,y).

Yes, but edziura, as you said:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

So you can individually solve dy/dt and dx/dt for the points of vertical and horizontal tangency.

I agree.

Now, I'm a bit confussed. What did I do wrong? I did dy/dt and dx/dt separately.

"horizontal tan dy/dt=o=3t(t^3-2)/(1+t^3)^2, t=0, -2^1/3, 2^1/3."

t = 0 and t = 2^1/3 are correct, but not t = -2^1/3; you are finding an odd root, not an even one.

What is a horizontal tangent?

A horizontal tangent is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. This means that the derivative of the curve at that point is equal to zero.

What is a vertical tangent?

A vertical tangent is a line that touches a curve at exactly one point and is perpendicular to the curve at that point. This means that the derivative of the curve at that point is undefined.

How do you find horizontal tangents?

To find horizontal tangents, you must first find the derivative of the curve. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the x-values. These x-values will be the points where the curve has horizontal tangents.

How do you find vertical tangents?

To find vertical tangents, you must first find the derivative of the curve. Then, set the derivative equal to undefined and solve for the x-values. These x-values will be the points where the curve has vertical tangents.

What is the significance of horizontal and vertical tangents?

Horizontal and vertical tangents indicate important points on a curve. Horizontal tangents occur at points where the slope of the curve is changing from positive to negative or vice versa, while vertical tangents occur at points where the slope of the curve is undefined. These points can give us information about the behavior of the curve and can be used to find maximum and minimum values.