Calculating an Astronaut's Weight on Planet X

In summary, an astronaut weighing 672 N on Earth would weigh 168 N on Planet X, which has a radius of 3189.05 and a mass of 6.638x10^23. The formula for force due to gravity is F = GMm/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant of 6.67 * 10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2. By taking a ratio of Wx and We, the answer can be found.
shimizua

Homework Statement

An astronaut weighs 672 N on the Earth. What is her weight on planet X, which has a radius Rx = Rearth / 2.00 and a mass Mx = Mearth/9.00?
I know that the radius of Planet X is 3189.05
and that the mass of Planet X is 6.638x10^23

Homework Equations

so i know that i need to find the gravity for planet X found with this equation gx = GM/R^2 and also that the eequation to find her mass is F=Mm/r^2 (at least that is what i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

so i tried using that equation but it was wrong and then i figued out i prob needed the gravity but did not know exactly how to use it cause what do i use G for in the initial equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not entirely clear to me what you did, so I'll start from the top. First of all, the formula for force due to gravity is F = GMm/r^2. So you have two equations[tex]W_{e}=\frac{GM_{e}m}{R_{e}^2}[/tex], and [tex]W_{x}=\frac{GM_{x}m}{R_{x}^2}[/tex]. Try taking a ratio of Wx and We and the answer should pop out.

but how do i find out what G is for planet X? that is the part that is confusing me

G is the same everywhere in the universe. It is a fundamental constant of nature.

ok so G is not gravity then i am guessing. what is G exactly then? like what is its number

YES! got the answer. thanks man. i actually have a few more and if you have time that would be awesome. i will post them now.

No problemo.

1. How do you calculate an astronaut's weight on Planet X?

The formula for calculating an astronaut's weight on Planet X is W = mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the astronaut, and g is the gravitational acceleration on Planet X.

2. What is the gravitational acceleration on Planet X?

The gravitational acceleration on Planet X can be determined by using the formula g = G(m1 + m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 is the mass of Planet X, m2 is the mass of the astronaut, and r is the distance between the center of Planet X and the astronaut's center of mass.

3. How does an astronaut's weight on Planet X compare to their weight on Earth?

An astronaut's weight on Planet X will be different from their weight on Earth since the gravitational acceleration on Planet X is different from that on Earth. If the gravitational acceleration on Planet X is greater than that on Earth, the astronaut's weight will be higher, and if it is less, their weight will be lower.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate an astronaut's weight on any planet?

No, the formula for calculating an astronaut's weight on Planet X is specific to that planet. Different planets have different masses and gravitational accelerations, so the formula will be different for each one.

5. How does an astronaut's weight on Planet X affect their ability to move and work?

An astronaut's weight on Planet X will affect their ability to move and work since the higher the weight, the more force they will need to exert to perform tasks. This can have an impact on their energy levels and the duration of their work on the planet.