Dropped out of a PhD? Reasons & Experiences

• Programs
  • Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: He was really unhappy with the direction his PhD was going and also felt like he was wasting his time.
tgt
Anyone ever been or know someone who dropped out of a Phd? If so what was the reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
i myself has been given several advices as a Ph D. student

the question is that yes , you can be dropped if your teacher or thesis director believes you are not suitable for the grant, every 6 months they send a revision about your work and if the comittee does not agree you can lose your grant... be careful :) do not take it too seriously but work hard.

Lots of people drop out, probably for the same reasons they stop doing anything - for example, realizing this isn't some thing they want to do for the rest of their lives.

Most of the people I know dropped out of their PhD program (physics in particular) over circumstances regarding the qualifying exams - either they didn't want to take them or they didn't manage to pass them. I've only known one to drop out because they didn't have the ability to do the research (as opposed to the math/physics).

Unfortunately communications skills (studying in a non-native language) has been the biggest reason I've seen for dropping out.

Other reasons:
- they get fairly decent job offers in the outside world doing something else they like
- not getting along with a supervisor
- personal/family issues that make studying less of a priority
- lack of personal initiative

I've known someone who dropped out because of a lack of motivation, and discovering something else which he really wanted to do.

I also know someone who would drop out if he could. Unfortunately, he faces severe financial penalties if he does so. The university gives a scholarship for PhD students and places a bond on them, saying that they must finish the course.

A lot of people drop out and for many different reasons. I think the most common reason is that the person in question simply realizes that he/she does not enjoy doing academic research it and then there really isn't much point in continuing.
After all, the only "practical" reason to get a PhD is if you think you might want to continue in academia (then you NEED a PhD), if you realize you would prefer to work in industry you are likely to be better off getting a "real" job instead.

My uncle quit his PhD when his wife got pregnant. Your mid/late 20's are the time when a lot of people want to start families.

1. What are some common reasons for dropping out of a PhD program?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may choose to drop out of a PhD program. Some common reasons include financial constraints, personal or family obligations, lack of interest or passion in the topic, difficulty balancing work and academic responsibilities, and mental health issues.

2. Is it common for students to drop out of PhD programs?

While the exact numbers vary depending on the field and institution, it is not uncommon for students to drop out of PhD programs. Studies have shown that the attrition rate for PhD programs ranges from 30-50%, with some fields having even higher rates.

3. How does dropping out of a PhD program affect future career prospects?

Dropping out of a PhD program may have different implications for each individual depending on their specific circumstances and career goals. Some may choose to pursue alternative career paths or employment opportunities, while others may continue their education in a different field. It is important to consider how the skills and knowledge gained during the PhD program can be applied in future endeavors.

4. Are there any resources available to support students who are considering dropping out of a PhD program?

Yes, many universities have resources available for students who are struggling with their PhD program or considering dropping out. These may include counseling services, academic support, and career advice. It is important for students to reach out and seek support if they are experiencing challenges.

5. What are some experiences of individuals who have dropped out of a PhD program?

Experiences of dropping out of a PhD program can vary greatly among individuals. Some may feel relieved and have a sense of freedom, while others may experience feelings of disappointment, failure, or uncertainty about their future. It is important to acknowledge and address these emotions and to seek support from friends, family, or professionals if needed.