Relearning University Physics I - Get Comprehensive Help

• Thread starter drewdiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is struggling with University Physics I and is seeking recommendations on how to effectively relearn the material. They are facing challenges with understanding concepts, as well as the teaching style of their professor. They are looking for a comprehensive resource, such as a website or videos, to help them with their understanding. The speaker also shares their own strategy of identifying and thoroughly understanding one concept at a time, as well as writing notes to better explain the material to themselves.
drewdiddy
I am currently in University Physics I. I get the ideas but I'm not where I want to be overall in the class. It takes me way too long to grasp the concepts and then apply them. My Prof is a first year Prof and every student complains about his teaching, i.e. it sucks. In addition to this I live in southeast Texas so Hurricane Ike canceled school for 2 weeks and we're playing catch-up at a rate of a chapter a class.

What I need to do is effectively relearn everything from scratch and was wondering where you guys would recommend I start. Preferably a comprehensive site with all the basics explained in detail or videos perhaps? I've repeatedly read the sections in my text and for some reason or another it's just not sticking, I feel like I maybe need a different perspective than the one offered in my book. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
As somebody who is relearning things now (but is not taking any courses and has the luxury of taking time to do it), I can tell you my strategy.

Find the very first thing that is not sticking, or something that you have to memorize a formula to be able to deal with. Identify the part of it that you don't understand, and thoroughly figure out just that one part (work lots of examples!). If you can't get it, there's probably something else more fundamental, so identify that bit and start over. I found I had to go back to algebra and basic calculus doing this, but after about a year am slowly working my way back up the ladder.

Personally I've also found that it helps me a lot to write up notes for many of the of topics I'm studying as if I'm trying to explain things to others (I have a mini-textbook of erratic subjects now;) If I can't explain it, then there is something I don't understand, and this helps identify it.

Hello,

I understand your frustration with your current situation in University Physics I. It can be challenging to grasp new concepts and apply them, especially when there are external factors such as a first year professor and a disrupted schedule due to a hurricane.

In order to effectively relearn the material, I would suggest starting with the basics. It's important to have a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics before moving on to more complex topics. You can find comprehensive resources online, such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare, that offer detailed explanations and videos on various physics topics. Additionally, many universities also offer tutoring services or study groups for students struggling in physics courses.

It may also be helpful to try approaching the material from a different perspective. Sometimes a different teaching style or explanation can make all the difference in understanding a concept. You can also try practicing problems and seeking help from your professor or classmates when needed. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out additional resources to supplement your learning.

Remember, learning takes time and effort, and it's important to not get discouraged. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and I'm confident that you will be able to improve in your University Physics I class. Best of luck to you.

1. What topics are covered in "Relearning University Physics I"?

The course covers topics such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and waves and optics.

2. Is this course suitable for beginners or only for those with a background in physics?

This course is suitable for both beginners and those with some background in physics. The material is presented in a comprehensive and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible to all learners.

3. How is the course structured?

The course is divided into modules, each focusing on a specific topic. Each module includes video lessons, practice problems, and interactive quizzes to help reinforce learning.

4. Will I have access to a tutor or instructor for help?

Yes, this course provides comprehensive help through a team of experienced tutors and instructors who are available to answer any questions and provide additional support as needed.

5. Can I receive a certificate upon completion of the course?

Yes, upon completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion which can be used to showcase your understanding of university level physics.