Is Transfering going to effect my knowledge?

• Thread starter Delta One
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary: Engineers do most of their group work and major group projects in their junior year, although sometimes they do them in their sophomore year.
Delta One
If i were to transfer to a good school after my sophomore year, would i be at the same lever as those who attended the school since freshmen year?

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta One said:
If i were to transfer to a good school after my sophomore year, would i be at the same lever as those who attended the school since freshmen year?

If you were to finish your studies in Community College and had follow the 2 year transfer criteria accordingly, and transferred out after the Sophmore year into a 4 year University, you should technically be considered a Junior level student. The answers is No. You'll actually be ahead of the Freshman students. I may be wrong but it really depends on how far you've studied on your subject.

i mean if i compare myself with a junior who attended the school since freshman year.

Your first question, "Is Transfering [sic] going to effect my knowledge?" has an easy answer - "I hope so, otherwise there's no point in transferring."

As far as where you will be with respect to other students, there's no way of telling. Particularly since we don't know where you are coming from, where you are going to, how well you did where you were, etc. Chances are, you'll be ahead of some folks, but behind others.

I suspect what you're really trying to ask is if there are topics that you might miss by transferring, i.e., things taught in different sequences at the two different schools. If this is your concern, I'd suggest requesting copies of the syllabi for the courses you'd be skipping if you entered as a transfer student, and see if they are covering the same topics as you are covering at your current school. If there are, you might request permission just to sit in on those lectures (I'm not sure it's worth formally auditing the entire course for this). Or, if you're good at learning independently, you could just read up on those subjects over the summer before you transfer so you're caught up.

Moonbear said:
I suspect what you're really trying to ask is if there are topics that you might miss by transferring, i.e., things taught in different sequences at the two different schools. If this is your concern, I'd suggest requesting copies of the syllabi for the courses you'd be skipping if you entered as a transfer student, and see if they are covering the same topics as you are covering at your current school. If there are, you might request permission just to sit in on those lectures (I'm not sure it's worth formally auditing the entire course for this). Or, if you're good at learning independently, you could just read up on those subjects over the summer before you transfer so you're caught up.

thank you, that was my question i just didnt know how to phrase it.
I have also read that engineers do most of their group work and major group projects in their junior year...is this true?

1. Will transferring to a new institution affect my understanding of my field of study?

No, transferring to a new institution should not have a significant impact on your understanding of your field of study. Your knowledge and understanding of the subject matter will largely depend on your own efforts and dedication to learning, rather than the specific institution you attend.

2. Will transferring to a different school make it harder for me to find a job in my field?

No, transferring to a different school should not affect your job prospects in your field. Employers are primarily interested in your skills, knowledge, and experience, rather than the specific institution you attended. As long as you have a strong understanding of your field and relevant experience, you should not face any difficulties in finding a job.

3. Will transferring to a new school mean I have to start my degree over?

In most cases, no, transferring to a new school should not require you to start your degree over. Most institutions have transfer credit policies in place, which allow you to transfer credits from your previous institution towards your new degree. However, the amount of credits that can be transferred may vary depending on the school's policies and the similarity of the courses you have taken.

4. Will transferring to a new school affect my GPA?

In some cases, yes, transferring to a new school may affect your GPA. This is because different institutions may have different grading systems and may not recognize all of your previous grades. However, most schools have a process in place for calculating your GPA based on the credits transferred from your previous institution.

5. Will transferring to a new school affect my financial aid?

Possibly, transferring to a new school may affect your financial aid. If you are receiving financial aid from your current institution, you will need to check with your new school to see if they offer similar aid and if you are eligible for it. Additionally, the amount of aid you receive may also be affected by the new school's tuition and fees.