Velocity versus time form acceleration versus time

In summary, the goal is to create a v vs t graph from an a vs t graph using the given acceleration data. Integration is not possible, so the discrete sum method is used to find the change in velocity at each time interval. This is then used to calculate the velocity at each point, and the "other kinematic equation" is used to find the position at each point.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

I have some data from a lab conducted with a accelerometer to collect the acceleration and I am trying to figure out how to create a v vs t graph from the a vs t graph. When I create the a vs t graph in excel its very crazy looking because of the change in acceleration at every 0.1 s from 0 s to 79.6 s. I know the v vs t is constructed from the area under the a vs t graph. The speed of the object is 0 km/h to 40 km/h = 0 m/s to 11.1111 m/s. I have every point of the instantaneous acceleration at every 0.1 s.

my a vs t graph:
14tydsj.png

my acceleration data looks like this from 0 s to 79.6 s:
avsz1s.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta v = \int a dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well I know the time is 0 s to 79.6 s and the velocity is 0 m/s to 11.1111 m/s so I think I can integrate?

[tex]\Delta v = \int a dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration is actually a discrete sum in this case. You don't have an analytical function that you can integrate. Just multiply the acceleration at a given point in time by the time interval Δt = 0.1 s and call that Δv. Add all the Δv's from time zero to the time of interest to get the velocity at the time of interest.

I used this formula:

[tex]v_{n} = v_{n-1} + a_{n}(0.1)[/tex]

which is what you said but would the position be:

[tex]x_{n} = x_{n-1} + v_{n-1}(0.1) + (0.5)a_{n}(0.1)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]y_{n} = y_{n-1} + v_{n-1}(0.1) + (0.5)a_{n}(0.1)^{2}[/tex]

for every point?

It will (probably) be better to use the "other kinematic equation"

[tex]
\Delta x_{n} = \frac{v_{n}^2-v_{n-1}^2}{2a_{n}}
[/tex]

What is the difference between velocity versus time and acceleration versus time?

Velocity versus time is a graph that shows the change in an object's velocity over a period of time. Acceleration versus time, on the other hand, shows the change in an object's acceleration over time.

How are velocity and acceleration related in a velocity versus time graph?

In a velocity versus time graph, the slope of the line represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a larger acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration.

Can an object have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and changing acceleration. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed, but its direction or rate of change in speed is changing.

What does a horizontal line on a velocity versus time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a velocity versus time graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed without changing its direction or rate of change in speed.

How can you calculate an object's displacement from a velocity versus time graph?

To calculate an object's displacement from a velocity versus time graph, you can find the area under the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and then adding up their individual areas to find the total displacement.