Supernova's Gamma Rays and Comets

In summary, Supernovae can emit gamma rays, but most do not and by the time they reach Earth, they are weak enough to be blocked by the atmosphere. Comets do not need propulsion as there is no friction in space, and they are simply following their natural orbits around the Sun. Gamma rays are high energy radiation and decrease in intensity the further they travel. Comets are initiated by their own natural motion in space.
crays
Hi guys, me again, with two questions. Just saw a documentation about supernova, when supernova happens, a huge amount of gamma ray is emitted since it is vacuum in space, why wouldn't the gamma ray hit us? Even if its far and takes a few thousand years for it to reach us, it would eventually reach us right?

About comets, i know it is composed of ice, but what actually propel it? The comets need a force to act on it so that it could move :eek:?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes we get gamma rays from Supernovae. There is a whole field called Gamma Ray Astronomy that deals with detecting gamma radiation from space.

Comets, just like any other body in the Solar system travel in orbits around the Sun, they don't need propulsion any more than the Earth does.

crays said:
Hi guys, me again, with two questions. Just saw a documentation about supernova, when supernova happens, a huge amount of gamma ray is emitted since it is vacuum in space, why wouldn't the gamma ray hit us?

Most supernova don't produce particularly large amounts of gamma rays. Apparently, some of them do, for reasons which we don't completely understand. Also space is big so by the time the gamma rays get to earth, they are weak enough so that you only see them with special satellites and the atmosphere blocks them out.

Also, the satellites that originally found gamma ray sources from space were designed to look for gamma bursts from earth, to detect nuclear explosions and make sure that no one was cheating on arms control treaties.

About comets, i know it is composed of ice, but what actually propel it? The comets need a force to act on it so that it could move :eek:?

Nope. In space, there is no friction and things keep moving unless something stops it.

Thanks for the reply.
But the gamma ray is a ray, the energy level of the gamma ray would decreases?

About the comets, what initiate it? I mean when it started to form, it doesn't have a force that acts on it right?

crays said:

Gamma rays are high energy radiation.

About the comets, what initiate it? I mean when it started to form, it doesn't have a force that acts on it right?

The natural state of things in space is for things to move. There's no need to have any sort of initial force.

crays said:
Imagine you have a very bright light. So bright that even standing one hundred feet away it is painful to look at. Now go a mile away and look at the light. Ten miles. One hundred miles.
Do you get the point?

crays said:
Thanks for the reply.

Gamma rays as already been mentioned are high energy radiation. Here's a little image to help you understand what radiation is and where gamma rays fit in:

http://molyit.com/TechImages/allimg/080425/1814522.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs at the end of a star's life, releasing a huge amount of energy and creating elements heavier than iron.

2. What are gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation with the shortest wavelengths and highest energy in the electromagnetic spectrum.

3. How are gamma rays produced in a supernova?

Gamma rays are produced in a supernova through the process of nuclear fusion and radioactive decay of elements within the star.

4. Can gamma rays from a supernova harm Earth and its inhabitants?

Yes, if a supernova were to occur close enough to Earth, the intense gamma ray burst could potentially damage the Earth's ozone layer and harm living organisms. However, the chances of this happening are very low.

5. Is there a connection between comets and supernova gamma rays?

Recent studies have suggested that supernova gamma rays may have triggered mass extinctions on Earth, including the extinction of the dinosaurs, by causing an increase in cosmic radiation that could have affected the Earth's climate and ecosystem. However, more research is needed to fully understand this potential connection.