Calculating Intensity of Coherent Radiation in Cylindrical Filter

In summary, the problem is to numerically calculate the intensity distribution of full coherent radiation in a spatial filter using Katron's scheme, with input data of focal length, wavelength, and the size of the crack on the entrance lens. The solution can be found using the theory of Fraunhofer diffraction and by performing a Fourier transform in the Fourier plane.
Konstantinov
Hello, All.
I'm a student.
I have a problem. I need numerically calculate of the intensity distribution of the full coherent radiation in the spatial filter(cylindrical geometry) (Katron's scheme).

Input data:
Focal length of lenses F = 1 (m)
Length of the wave of radiation Lambda = 10-6 (m)
The size of a crack on an entrance lens b = 0.01 (m)

And it is specified, that the spatial filtration is made on 1,2,3 maximum and minimum.

My questions:
1. What is the formulation of this questions?Can i use theory of Fraunhofer diffraction?
2. What is the plane where i need to calculate the intensity(May be Fourier plane)?

Thank you very match.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello student,

Thank you for your question. The problem you have described can be solved using the theory of Fraunhofer diffraction. The formulation of the question would be to find the intensity distribution of the full coherent radiation in the spatial filter (cylindrical geometry) using Katron's scheme, given the input data of focal length, wavelength, and the size of the crack on the entrance lens.

In order to calculate the intensity, you will need to use the Fourier plane. This is the plane where the spatial frequencies of the radiation will be encoded. By performing a Fourier transform of the input data, you will be able to obtain the intensity distribution in this plane.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of calculating the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters?

The purpose of calculating the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters is to determine the amount of light that passes through the filter. This information is important in many scientific and industrial applications, such as in laser technology and optical communication systems.

2. What factors affect the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters?

The intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident light, the thickness and material of the filter, and the angle of incidence of the light.

3. How is the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters calculated?

The intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters can be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power of the incident light, and A is the cross-sectional area of the filter. This formula assumes that the filter is perfectly cylindrical and that the light is evenly distributed across the filter's surface.

4. Can the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters be measured experimentally?

Yes, the intensity of coherent radiation in cylindrical filters can be measured experimentally using a light meter or a spectrophotometer. These instruments can measure the amount of light passing through the filter and calculate the intensity based on the filter's dimensions and the power of the incident light.

5. How does the intensity of coherent radiation change as it passes through a cylindrical filter?

The intensity of coherent radiation typically decreases as it passes through a cylindrical filter. This is due to the filter's ability to absorb or reflect some of the incident light. The amount of decrease in intensity depends on the properties of the filter and the wavelength of the light.