Mastering Concentration: Understanding How to Work Out Homework Answers

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with understanding how to work out answers for a concentration problem. The solution involves using dimensional analysis and conversion factors to get the desired units. The student also asks for simpler examples and the expert offers to help through MSN. The student then provides two examples and the expert confirms they are correct.
LatexZone

Homework Statement

I'm doing my best to figure out how these answers were worked out. We discussed it as a class but then moved on to another topic and after that, I just lost it because of the topic I'm doing right now.

I basically need to explain how these answers can be worked out.

Homework Equations

I have a screenshot of the powerpoint slide which was used and we were asked to calculate the answer. How would the answers be calculated?

con1how.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had an attempt at it and I was fairly good at this but once we started a new topic, I just lost all knowledge of it.

Please explain how I can work out the answers again.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how we could get the answers in green?

first number divided by the second number multiply by 1000

thats for A

Yeah but is there something specific to remember or is there a specific equation to work through?

yeah its at the top in green. it tells you the unit conversions

so what they've done here is they've used dm^-3 instead of litre

1 cm^3 of solution is one gram

which is an approximation, because that is the case for H2O. sorry for like 30 posts...i don't know why i did this. rough day lol

How would you work out the answer for A-3
How would you work out the answer for B-2
How would you work out the answer for C-1

Simple terms please.

Thanks. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, let's keep this Short and Sweet.

Basically this is what I need to do: "Examples of working through concentrations are shown"

Please help me ;(

I also have been given this slide and possibly I need to show how to calculate the answers from this too:

con2how.jpg

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Any information will be appreciated which will enable me to understand it much more effectively on how these questions can be worked out.

Thanks.

Dimensional analysis is key here. Look at the top in green, they give you the conversion factors. What we're looking for at the end is a concentration that is in moles/dm^3. What we have is (for a-3):
0.25 mol in 1000 cm^3 so there are 0.25 moles per 1000cm^3. So that's in moles per cm^3, we want to get to moles per dm^3.
So we have 0.25 mol/1000cm^3.
What we want is a concentration in moles/dm^3. So we need to find out how to get from moles/cm^3 to moles/dm^3. From the conversion factor at the top of the screen we know that 1000cm^3 = 1 dm^3. So here is where we would use dimensional analysis.
(0.25mol / 1000cm^3) * (1000cm^3 / 1dm^3) =
We use (1000cm^3 / 1dm^3) because the 1000cm^3 is in the denominator in (0.25mol / 1000cm^3). This way the units cancel out and we are left with moles/dm^3.

So if we go through the calculation...
(0.25mol / 1000cm^3) * (1000cm^3 / 1dm^3) =

The 1000's cancel out along with the units cm^3 and we are left with
(0.25mol / 1) * (1 / 1dm^3) = 0.25mol / dm^3.

Not enough time to help with the other two, but hope this helps you understand, cheers.

Eeek!

That is very confusing.

Would you be able to add me on MSN or something? It seems you have a great range of knowledge about this stuff and I really need help on it.

Thanks.

Let me show it in a simpler (less text) way. I tried to explain but maybe all the text is confusing you.

GIVEN: 0.25mol / 1000cm^3

WANT it in: mol / dm^3

CONVERSION factor(from top of slide): 1000cm^3 = 1 dm^3

We use 1000cm^3 / 1dm^3 in the calculation below because the GIVEN has cm^3 in the denominator so we need to use the CONVERSION factor with the cm^3 in the numerator.

So we take what we are GIVEN and multiple by the CONVERSION to get the answer.

(0.25mol / 1000cm^3) * (1000cm^3 / 1dm^3) = 0.25mol/dm^3I'm at school now and such and have class in a little bit, no msn on here, so I can talk when I get home but I won't get home till about 5 hours from now so... PM your address and we can chat if you're still having problems. Cheers.

are you on now, i got on through meebo

Yep, I am online right now.

What's your email address and I will add you too.

I was speaking to you but you only said "?" and then logged out :P

Would this be right for Activity 1?

Example: Work out the concentration of 20g of NaOH in a 250cm3 solution.

C = m ÷ V
m = 20g
V = 250cm3 ÷ 1000 = 0.25
NaOH = 20 x 0.25 = 5g dm-3

Would this be right for Activity 2?

Example: Work out the concentration of a solution with 0.32 moles of NaCl in 300cm3.

C = n ÷ V
n = 0.32 moles
V = 0.32 ÷ 300cm3 = 0.02
NaCl = 0.02 x 1000 = 20 mol dm-3

What is concentration and why is it important?

Concentration is the ability to focus and direct one's attention towards a specific task or activity. It is important because it allows individuals to stay engaged and complete tasks efficiently and effectively.

How do I improve my concentration?

There are several ways to improve concentration, including practicing mindfulness techniques, creating a distraction-free environment, breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, and taking breaks when needed.

What are some common distractions that affect concentration?

Common distractions that can affect concentration include noise, technology, multitasking, stress, and fatigue. It is important to identify and minimize these distractions to improve concentration.

How can I use concentration to work out homework answers?

Concentration is essential when working on homework as it allows you to focus on the task at hand and avoid distractions that can hinder your progress. By improving your concentration, you can better understand the material and find the correct answers to homework questions.

Are there any techniques or strategies specifically for mastering concentration for homework?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies for mastering concentration when working on homework. These include creating a designated study space, setting specific goals, using memory aids such as flashcards, and taking breaks to refocus and recharge.