Trying to understand the concept of divergence

In summary: There's a lot there.In summary, divergence measures how a point contributes as a source or sink with the field.
Taturana
[tex]\operatorname{div}\,\mathbf{F}(p) =
\lim_{V \rightarrow \{p\}}
\iint_{S(V)} {\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} \over |V| } \; dS[/tex]

This is the definition of divergence from wikipedia...

The divergence is property of a point in space. Is that right?

If the divergence is zero at a point, that means that such point does not contribute with the field as source nor a sink. Is that right?

So, the divergence of a point measures how that point contributes as a source or a sink with the field?

The surface integral in the equation above means a certain area, right? Is that area the area of the entire surface (like a gaussian surface in the gauss's law) or the area of the micro-surface that is "around" the point I'm measuring the divergence on?

Usually I like to think in the dimensions of the conceps (units). I noticed that the unit of divergence will always be area/volume (m^-1). Does that have any meaning?

If someone can help me with some of these questions I would be grateful...

Thank you,
Rafael Andreatta

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody can help me?

Either I asked some very noob questions or very hard questions haha

There is an alternate way of expressing divergence (which is the one I am used to).

In Cartesian coordinates:
divF=∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y + ∂F/∂z

This definition is for any point in space where the partials are defined.

Taturana said:
[tex]\operatorname{div}\,\mathbf{F}(p) =
\lim_{V \rightarrow \{p\}}
\iint_{S(V)} {\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} \over |V| } \; dS[/tex]

This is the definition of divergence from wikipedia..
It is, indeed.

The divergence is property of a point in space. Is that right?
No.
The divergence is a property of your vector field F.
If the divergence is zero at a point, that means that such point does not contribute with the field as source nor a sink. Is that right?
Indeed.
Then there is no net flux of F per unit volume centred about that point.
So, the divergence of a point measures how that point contributes as a source or a sink with the field?
Yes.
The surface integral in the equation above means a certain area, right? Is that area the area of the entire surface (like a gaussian surface in the gauss's law)

or the area of the micro-surface that is "around" the point I'm measuring the divergence on?
Your limiting process consists computing the net flux of F across the surrounding surfaces of ever-shrinking volumes V, giving you, in the limit of V to 0, the divergence of F at that point.
Usually I like to think in the dimensions of the conceps (units). I noticed that the unit of divergence will always be area/volume (m^-1). Does that have any meaning?

Units are: (area)*(unit of F)/volume.

If, for example, F is (velocity field of some fluid), then (area)*F gives the net amount of fluid flowing out of V; dividing with V gives you the volume flux per unit volume.
If someone can help me with some of these questions I would be grateful...

Thank you,
Rafael Andreatta

Ask more if you feel to.

1. What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of vectors in a vector field. It represents the tendency of vectors to either converge towards or diverge away from a specific point in the field.

2. How is divergence different from curl?

Divergence and curl are both vector operations, but they represent different aspects of a vector field. While divergence measures the tendency of vectors to spread out or converge, curl measures the rotation or circulation of vectors in the field.

3. How is divergence used in physics?

Divergence is an important concept in physics, particularly in the fields of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. In electromagnetism, divergence is used to calculate the net electric or magnetic flux through a closed surface. In fluid dynamics, divergence is used to study the flow of fluids and the behavior of fluid particles in a given field.

4. What is the relationship between divergence and the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the field within the surface. Divergence is used in the statement and proof of the divergence theorem, and it is also used to calculate the flux in practical applications of the theorem.

5. Can divergence be negative?

Yes, divergence can be negative. This occurs when vectors in a field are converging towards a point, resulting in a negative value for the divergence at that point. Similarly, positive divergence occurs when vectors are diverging away from a point, and zero divergence occurs when vectors are neither converging nor diverging at a specific point.