Finding Math Software to Fit & Adjust Curves

In summary: I am actually already working with source code that plots...so it looks like I will need to add control points to the curve and trap events mouse down, mouse up and mouse move while joining the control points with a spline for the bezier curves...this is doable.Matlab and mathematicia are good ones I know of.
albert281
I am looking for math software that will fit a set of points with a cubic spline (or other technique)...then allow the user to change the shape of the curve by dragging it...and continuously fit the curve as the dragging is occurring (or fit the curve after the dragging has stopped). The point on the curve that is being dragged must not deform it enough such that the curve becomes discontinuous.

Does such software exist? I have been working on generating a set of curves that will help solve an engineering problem I am working on...but each time I apply a new curve, I am finding I must readjust it. Finding a new set of curves takes a couple of hours...considering this is an iterative process...I may be working on this problem forever.

Any suggestions would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
math softwares are solve your problems, but not how to solve. So you look for some online math tutoring services.

bryansmith said:
math softwares are solve your problems, but not how to solve. So you look for some online math tutoring services.

What does this mean? I am looking for software to help me solve a problem...it won't solve it for me. If you don't know a useful answer to the question...how about keeping your useless comments to yourself.

Photoshop can make curves using splines. And you manipulate them by dragging the knots or some handles controlling curvature and direction.

Also you *could* use mathematica however you would need to actually code the program yourself.

Feldoh said:
Also you *could* use mathematica however you would need to actually code the program yourself.

I am actually already working with source code that plots...so it looks like I will need to add control points to the curve and trap events mouse down, mouse up and mouse move while joining the control points with a spline for the bezier curves...this is doable.

Matlab and mathematicia are good ones I know

1. What is curve fitting and why is it important in math?

Curve fitting is a mathematical technique used to find the best-fitting curve that represents a set of data points. It is important in math because it allows us to analyze and understand the relationships between variables in a dataset, make predictions, and identify patterns and trends.

2. What are some examples of software that can fit and adjust curves?

Some examples of software that can fit and adjust curves include Excel, MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries such as NumPy and SciPy.

3. How do I know which software is best for my specific needs?

The best software for your needs will depend on factors such as the type of data you have, the complexity of the curves you need to fit, and your level of experience with different programming languages. It is important to research and compare the features and capabilities of different software before making a decision.

4. Can I use free software for curve fitting and adjusting?

Yes, there are many free software options available for curve fitting and adjusting, such as R, Octave, and GNUPlot. However, some of these may have limited features or a steeper learning curve compared to paid software.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning how to use math software for curve fitting?

Yes, most software packages have tutorials and documentation available on their websites. There are also many online resources, such as video tutorials and forums, where you can learn how to use specific software for curve fitting and adjusting. Additionally, many universities offer courses or workshops on using math software for data analysis.