Cantor Set: 7/12, 1/3, 1/4, 11/12

• Thread starter tylerc1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantor Set
In summary, the Cantor set includes the numbers 1/3, 1/4, and 11/12, all of which have ternary expansions consisting of only the digits 0 and 2. To find the ternary expansion of a number, one can use 'long division' with adjustments similar to those used in base 10.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Which of the following are in the Cantor set: 7/12, 1/3, 1/4, 11/12? Give the ternary expansion of each.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that 1/3 is in the Cantor set and has a ternary expansion:

1/3 = 0/3 + 2/3^2 + 2/3^3 + 2/3^4 + ...

I am fairly certain that 1/4 as well as 11/12 are in the Cantor set as well, although I am not exactly sure how to go about showing this. When deciding if 1/3 was in the Cantor set or not I noticed that the endpoints of the intervals would always stay in the set (like 0 and 1 for instance), and after removing the middle 1/3 the first time, 1/3 became an endpoint. As for 1/4 and 11/12 I am not certain and would appreciate any direction and/or intuition. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
They want you to get ternary expansions of all those numbers anyway, so why don't you do that part first. Numbers in the cantor set have ternary expansions consisting of only the digits 0 and 2. Like you have found 1/3=0.022222... You could also have written 1/3=0.1 in ternary, but that's the only sort of ambiguity. To systematically get ternary expansion use 'long division'. If you remember how to do it in base 10 you just have to make a few adjustments.

1. What is the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set is a fractal set that is created by removing the middle third of a line segment, then removing the middle thirds of the remaining line segments, and so on. This process is repeated infinitely, resulting in a set that is composed of an infinite number of points, but has no length.

2. What are the first few elements of the Cantor Set with a starting interval of [0,1]?

The first few elements of the Cantor Set with a starting interval of [0,1] are 0, 1/3, 2/9, 1/9, 2/27, 7/27, 8/27, 19/27, 20/27, 61/81, 62/81, 67/81, etc. These numbers are created by dividing the remaining line segments into three equal parts and taking the left and right endpoints.

3. How is the Cantor Set related to the concept of self-similarity?

The Cantor Set is an example of a self-similar set, meaning that it contains smaller copies of itself. Each iteration of removing the middle thirds creates a new set that is similar to the original set, but with a smaller scale. This self-similarity is a key characteristic of fractals.

4. What is the dimension of the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set has a dimension that is between 0 and 1, known as a fractal dimension. Specifically, it has a Hausdorff dimension of log(2)/log(3) ≈ 0.631.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set has been used in various fields such as computer science, physics, and finance. In computer science, it has been used to generate random numbers and compress data. In physics, it has been used to model the behavior of certain physical systems. In finance, it has been used to model the volatility of stock prices. Additionally, the concept of self-similarity in the Cantor Set has been applied to create visually appealing designs in art and architecture.