Another universal gravitation question

In summary, as distance from the Earth's surface increases, gravitational potential energy also increases. However, when one reaches the center of the universe or is far away from any gravitational fields, their gravitational potential energy decreases. This is because the further away one is from the surface of the Earth, the weaker the gravitational force and therefore the lower the acceleration due to gravity. At the same time, the higher one goes, the more potential energy they have due to their distance from the Earth's surface. However, this potential energy is not solely determined by distance, but also by the strength of the gravitational force at that distance.
JimmyRay
As you get further away from the Earth's surface your gravitational potential energy increases, but when you get closer center of the universe (or something like that) your gravitational potential is decreasing... ? Meaning when you are the FURTHEST away from the Earth's surface your gravitational potential is zero...

We were learning about gravitational potential energy and my teacher told us to THINK about that question...

Well when you're at the center of the universe, there is no gravity? Or you're so far away from everything it can't affect you?

Physics news on Phys.org
My mind tells me to choose both, which is why I say those both apply..
There is no gravity in space, then again you're far away from any gravitational fields to even be affected.
So yeah. :D

I see... Thank you

At the surface of the Earth the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
This value decreases as you get farther from the surface.

If you look at the equation [tex]U_g = mgh[/tex] you can see that the higher you go the more your potential energy. However, you also have to take into account that as you go higher, g decreases.

Last edited:
I understand that the higher you go the more your gravitational potential but what about once you get into space or...the center of the universe... wouldn't your gravitation potential DECREASE even though you've gone HIGHER?

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a theory proposed by Sir Isaac Newton that describes the force of gravity between two objects. It states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does universal gravitation affect the motion of objects?

Universal gravitation affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is dependent on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the smaller the distance, the stronger the gravitational force and the greater the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between universal gravitation and general relativity?

While both theories explain the force of gravity, universal gravitation is a classical theory that only works for objects with small masses and slow speeds. General relativity is a more modern theory that takes into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space and time, and can be applied to all objects regardless of mass or speed.

4. What are some practical applications of universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is used in many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites, designing space missions, and calculating the orbits of celestial bodies. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of objects on Earth, such as projectiles, tides, and the rotation of the Earth.

5. Is universal gravitation a proven theory?

Yes, universal gravitation is a well-established theory that has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. It has been used to make accurate predictions about the motion of objects in our solar system and beyond, and is a fundamental concept in the field of physics.