So what is smell exactly? I'm sorry if this is really basic but I'm

• Thread starter Versus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, smell is the result of molecules in the air latching onto receptors in your nose which send signals to your brain. These receptors can pick up different types of molecules, resulting in a wide range of smells. Unlike sound, molecules physically latch onto receptors to produce a sense of smell. There is still debate about how exactly these receptors work, with some theories suggesting they may also respond to the vibrations of odor molecules.
Versus
So what is smell exactly? I'm sorry if this is really basic but I'm quite confused by it. Does our brain produce the smell and it is a bi-product of chemicals? Or is it a wave like sound? Or is it something else? I'm just curious as I know what Photons and Sound is but I've never really heard about smell.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your nose has receptors inside it that molecules in the air latch on to when you breathe. Different molecules latch onto different receptors in your nose. These receptors send a signal to your brain and gives you the sense of smell. Different receptors send different signals resulting in many different smells you can perceive.

Note that you must have molecules physically latch onto these receptors to smell. This isn't like a sound wave that simply vibrates your eardrum.

As Drakkith said it's definitely about receptors picking up types of molecules and triggering nerves, but interestingly there's still some controversy about how the receptors actually work, whether they're just responding to the shape of odor molecules or if they also respond to ways different odor molecules vibrate. See this article:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/02/do-vibrating-molecules-give-us-o.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is smell?

Smell, also known as olfaction, is the sensory experience of detecting and identifying chemical compounds through the nose. It is one of the five senses and is closely linked to our sense of taste.

How does smell work?

Smell works by chemical molecules entering the nose and being detected by specialized olfactory receptor cells located in the nasal cavity. These cells then send signals to the brain, which interprets the signals as specific smells.

Why do things have different smells?

Things have different smells because they are made up of different chemical compounds. Each chemical compound has a unique molecular structure, which interacts with our olfactory receptors in different ways, resulting in different smells.

Can people have different levels of sensitivity to smell?

Yes, people can have different levels of sensitivity to smell. Some individuals have a heightened sense of smell, while others have a decreased sense of smell. This can be due to genetic factors, age, or certain health conditions.

Why is smell important?

Smell is important because it helps us to detect and identify potential dangers, such as spoiled food or gas leaks. It also plays a role in our sense of taste and can evoke memories and emotions. Additionally, smell is important for social interactions and can influence our moods and behaviors.