Need help locating pulsar CP1133

• Thread starter Creator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulsar
In summary, The conversation is about locating a particular pulsar with the original designation CP1133. The pulsar has a radio period of 1 hertz and is believed to be relatively close to Earth. The galactic latitude, longitude, and distance of the pulsar can be found on a website provided by Meteor. The conversation also mentions that Sten Odenwald has information about the pulsar in his book and that NASA's internet catalog, Simbad, also has information on the pulsar. Further references and papers on PSR1133+16's single pulse characteristics can also be found.
Creator
I'm still trying to locate a particular pulsar which had (in 1972) the original designation CP1133. :confused:

Does anyone here happen to have a catalog or reference which will allow me to find which pulsar (or the current designation & info on such pulsar) that had an original (early 1970's) designation as CP1133 ?

This pulsar had a radio period of about 1 hertz; specifically 1.1879 sec.
I believe it was relatively close to earth.

Thanks,

Creator

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This page gives the galactic latitude and galactic longitude of the pulsar that you search, and also its distance
http://www.tas.idv.tw/faq/q1065.html

Last edited by a moderator:
meteor said:
This page gives the galactic latitude and galactic longitude of the pulsar that you search, and also its distance
http://www.tas.idv.tw/faq/q1065.html

Much Thanks Meteor! I had no idea that Sten Odenwald had 'my' pulsar by some coincidence in his book. (How'd you ever come up with that cross-reference?) In the mean time I had also received an e-mail from a NASA site manager identifying it as PSR1133+16 from a search he did on the internet catalog 'Simbad'. However, Simbad seems so complex you'd need to take a six month course ( exagerating :wink: ) just to figure how to do a search for other physical parameters. You have supplied a pertinent one , distance... 130 parsecs.
However, I'd like to get any other particulars that may be available.
Thanks again.

Creator :smile:

"Honk if you like peace and quiet"

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, now that I have the correct designation, I was able to find some further references on papers concerning PSR1133+16's single pulse characteristics, (from the Astophysical Journal,etc.); interesting. :cool:
Creator

1. What is a pulsar CP1133?

A pulsar CP1133 is a type of neutron star that emits beams of radiation from its magnetic poles, resulting in a pulsating signal that can be detected by astronomers on Earth.

2. How is a pulsar CP1133 located?

A pulsar CP1133 is located using radio telescopes, which can detect its radio waves and pinpoint its location in the sky.

3. Why is it important to locate pulsar CP1133?

Locating pulsar CP1133 can help scientists understand more about the properties and behavior of neutron stars, which are some of the most extreme and mysterious objects in the universe.

4. What can be learned from studying pulsar CP1133?

Studying pulsar CP1133 can provide insights into the physics of extreme environments, such as strong magnetic fields and high energy radiation. It can also help scientists understand the evolution and life cycle of stars.

5. How does the location of pulsar CP1133 affect its study?

The location of pulsar CP1133 can affect its study by determining the availability of telescopes and instruments that can observe it. It can also impact the amount of background noise and interference present, which can affect the accuracy of data collected.