Graphing in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph the equation ρ = 1 + cos(∅), which involves a triple integral. The speaker is unsure of where to start and has tried converting to Cartesian, but it was unsuccessful. The responder suggests thinking about the polar coordinate graph of r = 1 + cos(θ) and rotating it around the z axis to get the desired surface.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

The question involves a triple integral, but I can figure that out once I know what this looks like visually. It is the graph of ρ = 1 + cos(∅)
How exactly would I graph this?

Homework Equations

x = ρ * sin(∅) * cos(θ)
y = [itex]\rho[/itex] * sin(∅) * sin(θ)
z = ρ * cos(∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. I tried converting to Cartesian because it wasn't something that was easy to visualize for me in spherical, but that was a mess. Would it be a torus? I only vaguely know what that is. I apologize, we just learned this stuff today! I want to make sure that I am solid on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as you have discovered, you aren't going to get a nice simple xyz equation from which you will recognize the graph. One thing that you know for sure is that since there is no [itex]\theta[/itex] in the equation it is a surface of revolution around the z axis. So its cross section in, for example, the yz plane would tell you the shape.

Think about what the polar coordinate graph of r = 1 + cos(θ) would look like. Do you know how you would graph that curve? Do you know what kind of curve it is?

The reason I am asking you that is, when you look at the trace of your surface in the yz plane the [itex]\rho,\phi[/itex] pair look just like polar coordinates off the z axis. So if you can figure out the shape of the polar curve, just rotate it up on the z axis and revolve it to get your surface. Come back if you have more questions.

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system for locating points in three-dimensional space using a distance from the origin, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle from the positive x-axis. It is often used to describe the position of objects in space or on a spherical surface.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations: r = √(x² + y² + z²)θ = arctan(y/x)φ = arccos(z/r)

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful when working with spherical objects or systems, as they allow for a more intuitive understanding of their position and orientation. They are also often easier to work with in calculations involving spherical symmetry, such as in physics and engineering problems.

4. Is it possible to plot spherical coordinates on a 2D graph?

No, it is not possible to plot spherical coordinates on a 2D graph as they require three dimensions to be accurately represented. However, you can plot a projection of the spherical coordinates onto a 2D plane, such as a Mercator projection for a map of the Earth.

5. Can spherical coordinates be used in any other fields besides mathematics and physics?

Yes, spherical coordinates are also commonly used in geography, astronomy, and navigation. They can also be used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to define the position and orientation of objects in a virtual space.