Understanding AC Emitter Resistance | 25mV

In summary, the AC emitter resistance, rE', of a BJT transistor is given by the equation 25mV/iE. This value of 25mV is known as the thermal voltage, Vt, and is based on room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. This value can vary with temperature changes and is derived from Shockley's equation for PN junction diodes. In order to simplify the non-linear behavior of BJT transistors, a linearized small-signal model is used, which introduces new parameters such as r_e, r_pi, and g_m. Vt is one of these parameters and is included in the linearized model due to its presence in the diode equations. For more information, refer
shayaan_musta
Hello experts!

AC emitter resistance is given as,
rE'=25mV/iE

My question is that what does this 25mV tells us? and where does it come from?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vt = 25 mV is a thermal voltage at room temperature, about 20 degrees Celsius I believe. This value changes with temperature.

It comes from semiconductor physics where you try to describe a PN junctions diode, you arrive at Shockley's equation which describes its IV characteristics. It turns that the Shockley's equation is highly non-linear.

BJT transistors are composed of two such diodes which also behave non-linearly. So ultimately, when you try to describe the behavior of BJT transistor amplifier, it will be non-linear. But because it's difficult to deal with non-linear equations, the diode equations have been linearized by making some assumptions into what is called the small-signal model. As a results a couple of new parameters come into play, such as r_e, r_pi, g_m.

When you work this out, Vt makes its way into the linearized model and that's why see it.

For more info check out: Sedra/Smith.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.

You mean it is thermal voltage at room temperature and it varies if temperature varies. Am I right?
It is the voltage assumed on 20°C? Am I right?

shayaan_musta said:
Thanks for reply.

You mean it is thermal voltage at room temperature and it varies if temperature varies. Am I right?
It is the voltage assumed on 20°C? Am I right?

Thermal voltage temperature is at 300 K, so that is about 27°C (room temperature)

Last edited:
Bassalisk said:
Thermal temperature is at 300 K, so that is about 27°C (room temperature)

OK. Thanks a lot. :approve:

1. What is AC emitter resistance?

AC emitter resistance is the resistance value that is present between the emitter and the base of a transistor in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It is used to determine the stability and efficiency of the circuit.

2. How is AC emitter resistance measured?

AC emitter resistance is typically measured using a multimeter set to the resistance mode. The emitter and base of the transistor are connected to the leads of the multimeter and the resistance value is then displayed.

3. What is the significance of 25mV in AC emitter resistance?

The value of 25mV in AC emitter resistance is a commonly used reference value that indicates the relationship between the emitter current and the base-emitter voltage of a transistor. It is used in calculations to determine the AC emitter resistance value.

4. How does AC emitter resistance affect circuit performance?

AC emitter resistance plays a crucial role in determining the stability and efficiency of an AC circuit. It can impact the signal amplification and frequency response of the circuit, as well as the power dissipation and overall performance.

5. How can AC emitter resistance be reduced?

One way to reduce AC emitter resistance is by using a transistor with a lower resistance value, such as a high-gain transistor. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize the effects of AC emitter resistance.