Escaping a Black Hole's Event Horizon

In summary, the kinetic energy of an outgoing particle moving at the speed of light is equated with the gravitational potential of a black hole at that point to derive the Schwarzschild radius. However, this does not explain why objects that can do work or exert forces cannot escape the event horizon. This is due to the fact that black holes are not Newtonian objects and their behavior is governed by General Relativity, where even accelerating infinitely fast would not be enough to escape the event horizon.
cyborg6060
When classically deriving the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole, the kinetic energy of an outgoing particle (moving at the impossible-to-achieve maximum of the speed of light) is equated with the gravitational potential of the black hole at that point.

[itex]\frac{1}{2}mc^2 = \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]
[itex]r=\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/itex]

This seems reasonable for justification that light cannot escape, but what about objects that can do work or exert forces?

The gravitational force of the black hole at the event horizon is:

[itex] F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex]

One could imagine a spaceship throwing off fuel in the opposite direction so that

[itex] \frac{Δp}{Δt} = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex].

I'm well aware that this is not the case, so I'm curious as to what the reasoning is. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
the formula above does give the correct value of r but

I would just like to point out that ½mc² is the nonrelativistic formula for kinetic energy (of a particle moving at c)

In reality, for velocities close to c, one would have to use the relativistic forumula to find the actual kinetic energy.

66f7e00a057b2bf8fb7e7fbfb188a4ae.png

My issue is that I don't see what prevents a spaceship throwing off fuel at a constant rate A kg/s, so that:

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]A v = \frac{GM(m - At)}{r^2}[/itex].

What prevents this system (classically, so long as v is not too large) from escaping the event horizon?

My initial thought would be that v would have to be greater than the speed of light, but I can't quite justify that mathematically.

Any thoughts would be incredibly helpful.

time stops at the event horizon

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
cyborg6060 said:
My issue is that I don't see what prevents a spaceship throwing off fuel at a constant rate A kg/s, so that:

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]A v = \frac{GM(m - At)}{r^2}[/itex].

What prevents this system (classically, so long as v is not too large) from escaping the event horizon?

My initial thought would be that v would have to be greater than the speed of light, but I can't quite justify that mathematically.

Any thoughts would be incredibly helpful.

In a Newtonian sense, you're right. But black holes are not Newtonian objects, and although you get the right answer for the Schwarzschild radius, it's completely by incorrect reasoning. It's not actually an issue with special relativity -- but with the much larger theory of General Relativity.

If you imagine yourself going towards the event horizon of a real Einsteinian black hole, you would need to accelerate infinitely fast as you fell down towards the event horizon just to stay at the same radius! Curiously, once you've fallen past the event horizon, any amount of blasting your rockets you do will only hasten your eventual demise! If you want to live as long as possible, the best bet is to sit there and do nothing.

1. What is a black hole's event horizon?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. Can anything escape a black hole's event horizon?

No, once an object passes the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. The intense gravitational forces of a black hole are too strong for anything to overcome.

3. How does time behave near a black hole's event horizon?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time slows down near a black hole's event horizon. This is due to the extreme gravitational forces that bend space-time near the black hole.

4. Is it possible to survive passing through a black hole's event horizon?

No, it is not possible for a human or any known object to survive passing through a black hole's event horizon. The intense gravitational forces would tear apart any object.

5. How do scientists study or observe black holes and their event horizons?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study black holes and their event horizons, including observing the effects of a black hole's gravity on surrounding matter and using specialized instruments such as telescopes and gravitational wave detectors.