Radioactivity, disintegrations and Half Life

In summary,The conversation revolves around the concept of radioactive decay and its relationship to the mass of an isotope. The textbook definition of half-life is clarified, and it is agreed that it is referring to the mass of the original isotope. The confusion lies in the wording, as the mass of the isotope does not change, but the count of atoms does decrease by half after one half-life. It is also confirmed that disintegration and decay are the same thing, and the atom remains afterwards, albeit as a different element or isotope.
esmeralda4
Hi,

My Physics textbook talks about a nucleus disintegrating. What does this mean? I understand that the nucleus will emit either an alpha, beta or gamma ray but surely the nucleus still remains after this? Does the term disintegrate just mean than the nucleus has got smaller and become a new element? Isn't this what decay means?

The textbook also gives the definition of Half Life as the time for the mass of the isotope to half. I thought it was the time for half the unstable atoms to decay. Whats the difference? A radioactive substance won't decay (or disintegrate) until it becomes nothing (zero mass), will it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
esmeralda4 said:
Hi,

My Physics textbook talks about a nucleus disintegrating. What does this mean? I understand that the nucleus will emit either an alpha, beta or gamma ray but surely the nucleus still remains after this? Does the term disintegrate just mean than the nucleus has got smaller and become a new element? Isn't this what decay means?

Yes.

esmeralda4 said:
The textbook also gives the definition of Half Life as the time for the mass of the isotope to half. I thought it was the time for half the unstable atoms to decay. Whats the difference? A radioactive substance won't decay (or disintegrate) until it becomes nothing (zero mass), will it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

You are correct, and your textbook definition, as written, is wrong. The average lifetime of a radioactive nucleus is [itex]\frac{1}{\lambda}[/itex]. The half-life is the time it takes for half of the sample to decay, which is [itex]\frac{ln\:2}{\lambda}[/itex].

The textbook definition is correct, it is just confusingly worded. It is referring to the mass of the original isotope. After a half life, you're left with half of that isotope.

russ_watters said:
The textbook definition is correct, it is just confusingly worded. It is referring to the mass of the original isotope. After a half life, you're left with half of that isotope.

No it is not just confusing, it is outright wrong. The mass of the isotope does not change (this is a fixed physical parameter). The mass of the nucleus which decays does change - but not by half. It changes by the mass of the decay particle and energy difference. It is only the count of a large sample of atoms which decreases by half after one half life.

If the count of atoms of an isotope drops by half, the mass of that isotope - not the atomic mass, the total mass - has also dropped by half.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I haven't asked a stupid questions!

Russ you say...

"If the count of atoms of an isotope drops by half, the mass of that isotope - not the atomic mass, the total mass - has also dropped by half."

I understand that but why would the actual count of atoms reduce by half? I thought that the atoms themselves simply decay, the mass of the nucleus would reduce, but the atom would remain. Albeit now a different element or isotope. If half the atoms have decayed then surely this wouldn't mean the entire sample has reduced it's mass by half?

I feel like I'm not understanding something quite fundamental to radioactive decay. Does everyone agree that disintegration and decay are the same thing and the atom still remains afterwards?

Many thanks

esmeralda4 said:
"If the count of atoms of an isotope drops by half, the mass of that isotope - not the atomic mass, the total mass - has also dropped by half."

I understand that but why would the actual count of atoms reduce by half?
If half of the atoms of an isotope decay, you are left with half of the atoms of that isotope. The other half are now a different atom. Consider:

If you have 1 kg of a certain isotope and wait for one half life, how much of that isotope do you now have?

Ah!

I get it. More of an problem understanding the language that the Physics itself. I hate that!

So after one half life of 1kg of a certain isotope 500g of that same isotope would remain but the total mass of the material is going to be much greater than 500g!

Thanks for your help

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the spontaneous process by which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy in the form of particles or electromagnetic radiation. This process is also known as radioactive decay or disintegration.

2. What causes atoms to become radioactive?

Atoms become radioactive when they have an unstable arrangement of protons and neutrons in their nucleus. This instability is caused by an excess of energy in the nucleus, which is released in the form of radiation to achieve a more stable state.

3. What is a disintegration of an atom?

Disintegration refers to the process of an unstable atomic nucleus releasing energy in the form of particles or radiation to achieve a more stable state. This process is also known as radioactive decay and can result in the transformation of one element into another.

4. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a sample of radioactive material to decay. This is a constant value for each radioactive isotope and can be used to predict the rate of decay and measure the age of a sample.

5. How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured using a unit called the becquerel (Bq), which represents one disintegration per second. Other common units of measurement include the curie (Ci) and the roentgen (R), which are used to measure the amount of radiation emitted by a source and the amount of radiation absorbed by a material, respectively.