Justifying the purchase of a plastic box over plastic bags.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the number of times a 76g polypropylene lunchbox must be used in order to justify its purchase over disposable 2g polyethylene snaplock bags, taking into account the energy life cycle and the energy required to wash the box. The known data includes the energy life cycle of the two products and the energy required to heat water for washing. The formula for calculating the number of uses to make up for the energy life cycle difference is Ebox/Ebag, and the formula for calculating the number of uses due to washing is Usesinitial * Ewash/Ebag. However, the conversation also raises the issue of the ongoing energy expenditure needed for washing the box after each use, which may
smalveh
Hi, I have to calculate the amount of times a 76g polypropylene lunchbox must be used in order to justify its purchase over disposable 2g polyethylene snaplock bags, in terms of the life cycle energy of the two products. However each time the polypropylene box is used it must be washed using 500ml of hot water.

Known Data:
Energy life cycle of 2g of polyethylene = 64.2kJ (Ebag)
Energy life cycle of 76g of polypropylene = 5 578.4KJ (Ebox)
Energy required to heat 500ml water from 15 °C to 45 °C = 64.6KJ (Ewash)

So now I understand the amount of times the box must be used just to make up for the energy life cycle difference between it and the bags is Usesinitial = Ebox/Ebag
But where I get stuck is trying to calculate the amount of times the box must be used in order to make up for the energy lost washing the box.

This is what I've tried so far:
Usesinitial= Ebox/Ebag
Usesdue to washing = Usesinitial * Ewash/Ebag

Now what confuses me is that every time the box must be used it must be washed, thus expending more energy, because of this loss of energy the box must be used again and then washed again, it seems to me this will go on for ever or more realistically the total uses will asymptote. How do I form a proper mathematical relationship from this.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure, do you think you use the calorific value and if so, how?

Last edited:

1. Why should I choose a plastic box over plastic bags?

Plastic boxes offer more durability and longevity compared to plastic bags. They can be reused multiple times and are less likely to tear or break, making them a more sustainable option.

2. Are plastic boxes more expensive than plastic bags?

In the short term, plastic boxes may be more expensive than plastic bags. However, because they can be reused multiple times, they may end up being more cost-effective in the long run.

3. How do plastic boxes benefit the environment?

Plastic boxes are a more environmentally-friendly option compared to plastic bags. They produce less waste and can be reused, reducing the amount of plastic that ends up in landfills or as litter in the environment.

4. Can plastic boxes hold as much as plastic bags?

Yes, plastic boxes can hold just as much as plastic bags. In fact, some plastic boxes may have a larger capacity, allowing you to store more items in a single container.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using plastic boxes?

One potential disadvantage of using plastic boxes is that they take up more space compared to plastic bags, especially when they are not in use. However, this can be mitigated by choosing stackable or collapsible plastic boxes.