Maximizing Breaks: Finding Balance After a Pressing Semester

• Thread starter mathsciguy
  • Start date
In summary: If you're feeling overwhelmed, try looking into other ways of studying such as flashcards, studying with a friend, or using software that can help you study more efficiently.
mathsciguy
I just had a really pressing semester, it was quite horrible actually. I still managed to get a good grade and now we're on break.

Do I take a break or do I study? What I mean by break is that, I'm thinking of doing nothing related to physics or mathematics (academics) and loosen myself up for 2 days or so since I've kinda almost blown myself during that last semester. The problem is, I've become quite accustomed to the mindset that I should do something science or math related in a day, but I'm worried that it not be very productive since I'm a bit burned out. If I just sit around though, I get really uneasy as the thought of being unable to progress is haunting me.

Seems like a really bad cycle of indecisiveness, I'm quite sure about my goals though. I wonder if anyone's experienced this?

So for tl;dr:

How to make the most out of breaks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do what you want to do. It's your break.

I wonder what I'll do. I, and likely a bunch of other people on the boards, have a tough quarter right now (quarter here, so I'm still in school for another month). I find some artistic stuff relaxing, i.e. building some video game engine, visualizing boids performing strange behaviors, etc. I end up learning some things while do this on the weekends and have fun doing it, so I figure I'll be a bit more intensive and serious regarding this stuff (3D graphics, AI, just started throwing some control stuff I've been picking up).

I'd recommend that you, after working or whatever it is you'll be doing on your break, look toward an utterly mindless form of entertainment for inspiration. You'll be studying again in no time (and you won't even notice).

Yeah, I get that too.

I think what's key is figuring out what you can do to "fill the holes" (i.e, something other than "work" (science) that can make you happy) while not completely breaking away from your work schedule. What works for me is immersing myself in another world.

Maybe it's a book I'm reading or something I'm writing. Or a good video game or TV show. (Batman, Community, The Witcher EE (both games are great) or a Jeff Buckley album) That's just stuff you can do on your own. You could just hang out with your friends or talk to new people.

If it bothers you that you aren't studying at all, keep an hour or two (you can break it into 30-minute chunks if you like!) for your studies. That's what I'll do.

Really you have to do whatever it is that recharges you. For me, it was to get far away from my studies, and write music, go for bike rides, go to parties and take road trips with my friends, anything but study, really. If you try to fit study time into your breaks you are setting yourself for burnout, in my opinion. But for some people, it works. Only you can answer that question for yourself.

mathsciguy said:
Do I take a break or do I study? What I mean by break is that, I'm thinking of doing nothing related to physics or mathematics (academics) and loosen myself up for 2 days or so since I've kinda almost blown myself during that last semester.
If you've blow yourself out over the last semester, it's probably not a good idea to keep doing what it was that blew you out. Summer's almost here. Why not go hiking and camping for a few days? Climb a mountain. Unplug yourself.

Physics will still be there when you get back. It won't have changed much.

Mépris said:
Yeah, I get that too.

I think what's key is figuring out what you can do to "fill the holes" (i.e, something other than "work" (science) that can make you happy) while not completely breaking away from your work schedule. What works for me is immersing myself in another world.

Maybe it's a book I'm reading or something I'm writing. Or a good video game or TV show. (Batman, Community, The Witcher EE (both games are great) or a Jeff Buckley album) That's just stuff you can do on your own. You could just hang out with your friends or talk to new people.

If it bothers you that you aren't studying at all, keep an hour or two (you can break it into 30-minute chunks if you like!) for your studies. That's what I'll do.

I guess I'll be taking this advice, I'll break my work into chunks until I get into a good pace for studying. Thanks guys.

I would add a couple of things:

i) If you are studying a new topic, it is a good idea to review even a bit every single day, otherwise, it will be hard to get started and having to get the ball rolling after a few days.

ii)Keep track of what works for you over time, and you may taylor a recovery method for yourself.

Good Luck.

1. How do I know when I need a break?

It is important to listen to your body and pay attention to any physical or mental symptoms that may indicate burnout or exhaustion. These can include feeling tired all the time, difficulty concentrating, loss of motivation, and increased irritability.

2. How long should my break be?

The length of your break will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Some people may benefit from a short break of a few days, while others may need a longer break of a week or more. It is important to find a balance that allows you to recharge and return to your responsibilities feeling refreshed.

3. What activities should I do during my break?

The activities you choose during your break should be relaxing and enjoyable. This can include things like spending time outdoors, reading a book, listening to music, or engaging in a hobby. It is important to avoid activities that may cause additional stress or take up too much mental energy.

4. How can I make the most out of my break?

To make the most out of your break, try to disconnect from work or school responsibilities as much as possible. This may mean turning off your phone or email notifications, or setting boundaries with friends and family about your availability. Also, prioritize activities that bring you joy and relaxation, and avoid overcommitting yourself during your break.

5. How do I transition back to work or school after a break?

Returning to responsibilities after a break can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to make the transition smoother. Start by setting realistic goals for yourself and easing back into your routine gradually. It can also be helpful to reflect on any changes you want to make to prevent burnout in the future and to prioritize self-care practices. Remember to be patient and kind with yourself as you adjust back to a busy schedule.