Solar super-sail could reach Mars in a month

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Solar
In summary, the brothers from UC Irvine are proposing using microwaves to boil off volatile molecules from a specially formulated paint applied to a spacecraft's sail in order to help it reach Mars. This would be a different way of propulsion from using an engine on the ground, and would be able to slow down the spacecraft without using any fuel.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gregory Benford of the University of California, Irvine, and his brother James, who runs aerospace research firm Microwave Sciences in Lafayette, California, envisage beaming microwave energy up from Earth to boil off volatile molecules from a specially formulated paint applied to the sail. The recoil of the molecules as they streamed off the sail would give it a significant kick that would help the craft on its way. "It's a different way of thinking about propulsion," Gregory Benford says. "We leave the engine on the ground." [continued]
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524846.500

Physics news on Phys.org
interesting...
i am thinking... how could that spacecraft slow down when it reaches mars...

vincentchan said:
interesting...
The same way I brake when skiing...

...**KABLAAAAMMMMMM** :rofl:

vincentchan said:
interesting...

Isn't that a problem in general with very high speeds? I recall reading (somewhere), even if we do develop systems which reach a good percent of the speed of light, slowing down would take a long time.

Isn't that a problem in general with very high speeds? I recall reading (somewhere), even if we do develop systems which reach a good percent of the speed of light, slowing down would take a long time.

It is not only time... since the spacecraft has no engine, where is the slow down power came from :tongue2:

The power slowing down the spacecraft is comparable to that of speeding it up if the speed is high... ..

Assuming that the microwaves could penetrate the sail, they could just turn around to slow down. The paint would boil off in the other direction.

Good thought

vincentchan said:
interesting...
But that does not preclude a braking system , but it does mean that it has to be carried as part of the whole. Unfortunately ( there appears no braking mechanism other than burning fuel ) so the faster you go the more fuel you would have to carry , and God only knows what you would do if you wished to return. Cause now the solar wind is agin you , OOOOps . !

The sail could work both ways. The energy to momentum ratio of EM is higher than that of ejected mass. Since energy from the microwaves causes the paint to boil off as mass, and not as radiant energy, the momentums do not cancel.

Last edited:
rayjohn01 said:
and God only knows what you would do if you wished to return. Cause now the solar wind is agin you , OOOOps . !

I'm guessing this is for unmanded missions(probes) that we are currently sending out now; one way trips.

Ivan Seeking said:
Assuming that the microwaves could penetrate the sail, they could just turn around to slow down. The paint would boil off in the other direction.
Ideally all the paint would boil away, leaving a micrometre-thin sail to continue the voyage to Mars.
They don't want any paint left over after they "shoot" the microwaves at the sail, so there wouldn't be any left to slow it down that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deploy another chute or send another one ahead. The point is that this is not a momentum transfer system. It could work either way.

1. How does the solar super-sail work?

The solar super-sail uses the energy from sunlight to propel a spacecraft through space. The sail is made of a large, thin material that reflects sunlight, creating a small amount of force. This force, combined with the continuous energy from the sun, allows the spacecraft to reach high speeds and travel long distances.

2. How long would it take for the solar super-sail to reach Mars?

The solar super-sail could reach Mars in approximately one month. This is significantly faster than current spacecrafts, which take an average of 7 months to reach Mars.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a solar super-sail to reach Mars?

The use of a solar super-sail could greatly reduce the time and cost of space travel to Mars. It would also allow for more frequent missions and potentially allow for larger payloads to be carried.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using a solar super-sail?

One potential challenge is the need for a large and lightweight sail material, which may be difficult to manufacture and deploy in space. Additionally, the spacecraft would need to be carefully controlled to ensure it stays on course and avoids any potential collisions with objects in space.

5. Could the solar super-sail be used to travel to other planets besides Mars?

Yes, the solar super-sail could potentially be used to travel to other planets in our solar system that are within reach of the sun's energy, such as Venus or Jupiter. However, it may not be suitable for interstellar travel as the distance and time required would be much greater.