Quick question about Rydberg Constant Equations

• Thread starter scissors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for energy emitted by a photon and the need to explain it in terms of light occurring in quanta and an equation for energy in terms of R. The formula for energy is derived and the conversation turns to finding equations for En and Em using Bohrs model of the hydrogen atom.
scissors
So I have the equation

1/lambdamn = R(1/(n^2) - 1/(m^2))

Where m > n, and lambda is the energy emitted by a photon from m going down to n. And I have to get show that this formula can be explained by

1.) Requiring that light occurs in quanta

2.) And to get a formula for Energy in terms of R.

I had previously derived this forumula

E = - e^2 / 4*pi*eo*an + n^2*(hbar)/^2/2m*an

where a is the radius of the electron orbit, n will be 1 for our purposes, etc. How do I go about getting an equation for part 2...and how do I even begin part 1?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It maybe helps to notice that lambda is not the energy but the wavelength of the emitted photon.

How did u get that formula,exactly...?I mean,expressed as a sum of 2 terms,what does each stand for...?

Daniel.

Conservation of energy requires:

[tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}=E_n-E_m[/tex]
where [itex]E_n>E_m[/itex].

Use the expression for the nth energy to find R.

But what equations do I have for En and Em?

Do you know Bohrs model of the hydrogen atom?

1. What is the Rydberg Constant?

The Rydberg Constant is a physical constant that appears in the formula for the wavelengths of spectral lines of hydrogen atoms. It is named after the Swedish physicist Johannes Rydberg.

2. How is the Rydberg Constant calculated?

The Rydberg Constant is calculated by taking the inverse of the difference between the energies of the ground state and any excited state of a hydrogen atom. It can also be calculated using the Bohr model of the atom.

3. What is the significance of the Rydberg Constant?

The Rydberg Constant is significant because it helps us understand the structure of atoms and the behavior of electrons. It also allows us to calculate the energies and wavelengths of spectral lines for hydrogen and other elements.

4. Are there different equations for the Rydberg Constant?

Yes, there are different equations for the Rydberg Constant depending on the system being studied. The most commonly used equations are the Rydberg formula for hydrogen and the Rydberg-Ritz combination principle for more complex systems.

5. How is the Rydberg Constant used in scientific research?

The Rydberg Constant is used in various fields of science, such as astrophysics, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as atomic clocks and lasers.