Calculating Volumetric Flow Rate Without Cross-sectional Area

In summary: The flowmeter will calculate the velocity and mass flowrate from that information.In summary, a flowmeter measures the amount of heat carried off by the flow. It can be a thermal or a corriolis device.
Ehsans
hi ,
I have a question that if you answer it I would be so thankfull, Q is:
"Can we calculate volumetric flow rate without knowing cross-sectional area?
If,yes,How?"

I have this Q because I see a portable Thermometer,volumetric flow rate meter ,which show it without giving any area size!

Thanks lot,
Ehsan

Engineering news on Phys.org
What flowmeter do you have?

Collect what is flowing in a measured container and time it.

Is this a theoretical question, or an aplication for which you need a calculation or measuring method?

Artman said:
Collect what is flowing in a measured container and time it.

Is this a theoretical question, or an aplication for which you need a calculation or measuring method?

Hi artman,
I want to know how it works,maybe Theoretical or aplication :)

thanks ,
Ehsan.

FredGarvin said:
What flowmeter do you have?

Hi Fred ,
I haven't it , just saw it in university.

thanks,
Ehsan.

You really do not provide enough information to enable a meaningful answer. What kind of flow meter are you talking about?

I am currently working with ftp://ftp.captor.com/docs/Datasheet_4311-30-US.pdf[/URL] it is a calorimetric mass flow meter, that is it measures the amount of heat carried off by the flow. The output is a 4-20ma signal which is proportional to the flow rate. Internal electronics "know" the physical parameters about the flow meter, so I do not need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of the flow meter is to give you the flow rate. Granted, proper calibration is a must, but that is the point of the instrument. Rephrase your question so we can better understand what it is you are looking for.

I am a bit late. Actually true mass flowmeters can directly measure mass glowrate and then it will be converted to volume flowrate. Thermal flowmeters based on calorimetric principle, as suggested by Integral, measure mass flowrate by sensing increase in temperature as heat flows from a resistor to the flowing fluid. The simple equation used is Q = mxCpxdT. Q is the constant heat flowrate supplied by the resistor, m is mass flowrate of fluid, Cp is its specific heat and dT is temperature difference.

Corriolis mass flowmeters measure the force exerted upon a sensor(based on the mass flowrate). These two devices don't require pipe size input. However, for better accuracy and lower pressure drops, a velocity range is specified.

1. How do you calculate volumetric flow rate without knowing the cross-sectional area?

To calculate the volumetric flow rate without knowing the cross-sectional area, you can use the following formula: Volumetric Flow Rate = Velocity x Area. This formula is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of fluid entering a pipe must equal the volume of fluid exiting the pipe.

2. Can you calculate volumetric flow rate without knowing the velocity?

No, the velocity is a necessary component in the formula for calculating volumetric flow rate. Without knowing the velocity, it is not possible to accurately determine the volumetric flow rate.

3. What units are used for volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute. The specific unit used may vary depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. How is volumetric flow rate related to mass flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate and mass flow rate are related through the density of the fluid. Volumetric flow rate is a measure of the volume of fluid passing through a given point in a specified amount of time, while mass flow rate is a measure of the mass of fluid passing through the same point in the same amount of time. The relationship between the two is given by the formula Mass Flow Rate = Volumetric Flow Rate x Density.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate volumetric flow rate for all types of fluids?

Yes, the formula for calculating volumetric flow rate can be used for all types of fluids, including liquids, gases, and even multiphase fluids. However, it is important to ensure that the units used for velocity, area, and density are consistent with the type of fluid being measured.