Need help solving a differential equation for orbit.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of mapping the position of a planet using initial conditions of position, velocity, and acceleration. The equation for gravitational force is mentioned, and using Newton's second law, the equation of motion is derived. The conservation of energy is then introduced, and the process of solving the 1-dimensional problem is explained. The speaker also mentions the option of solving the 2-dimensional problem using polar coordinates.
ScienceVSmath
I want to be able to map the position of a planet given initial position, velocity, and acceleration.

I know the equation for Gravitational force (Newtonian) is: F=-GMm/r^2

Using Newtons second law this gives: m(d^2x/dt^2)=-GMm/x^2

Then simple Algebra yields: (d^2x/dt^2)+GM/x^2=0

I understand you need initial conditions to solve this problem, so I'm going to say that
x(0)=a
x'(0)=b
x''(0)=c
Thank you very much to anyone who helps me out with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the equation of motion by v=dx/dt and integrate.
This will lead you to the conservation of energy:

v²/2 - GM/x = Constant = b²/2 - GM/a

Solve for v = dx/t, and integrate once more.
(here you have a difficulty: there are two solutions)

I assumed you were asked to solve the 1-dimensional problem, not the more realistic 2-d problem.

If you want to solve the 2d problem, you should work whit polar coordinates.
Also you are giving more initial conditions that you need.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical systems and their behavior over time.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations for orbit?

Differential equations are used to describe the motion of objects in space, including the orbit of planets and satellites. By solving these equations, we can understand and predict the trajectory and behavior of objects in space.

3. How do you solve a differential equation for orbit?

To solve a differential equation for orbit, we use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. We also use initial conditions, which are known values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point in time.

4. What is the importance of solving differential equations for orbit?

Solving differential equations for orbit is crucial for space exploration and satellite missions. It allows us to accurately predict and control the motion of objects in space, which is essential for the success of these missions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving differential equations for orbit?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving differential equations for orbit. It is used in fields such as astrodynamics, aerospace engineering, and celestial mechanics to design and analyze space missions and objects in orbit around the Earth or other celestial bodies.