Initial condition effect in Nonlinear PDE of a wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of a propagating wave in a 1D dispersive media with square and cubic nonlinear terms present. The effect of nonlinearity causes the propagating pulse to steepen with time. However, in a specific case where the initial velocity is the first time derivative of the initial displacement, two waves are observed instead of one, with different amplitudes in opposite directions. The participant is requesting an explanation for this phenomenon.
Romik
Hey there,

I have modeled a propagating wave in a 1D dispersive media, in which square and cubic nonlinear terms are present.

u′′=au3+bu2+cu

the propagating pulse starts to steepen with time which is the effect of nonlinearity, but there is an effect which I can't understand.

so here is the effect,

case a)
u(x,0)=sech(x-ct) and v(x,0)=0
from d'alambert solution, I have 2 equal propagating wave in (+) and (-) directions carrying the effect of nonlinearity. which make sense.

case b)
u(x,0)=sech(x-ct) and v(x,0)=g(x,t)
where the initial velocity,g, is the first time derivative of initial displacement, sech(x-ct).
In this case I expect to have pulse propagating in one direction (+), but I get two waves, one with big amplitude in main direction (+), and another one with small amplitude in opposite direction (-).

I can't understand how does the small amplitude wave develop and propagate. any explanation?

I would appreciate any hint or comment.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I am not even sure I understand the question. In the first equation is the differentiation with respect to [itex]\xi = x-ct[/itex]? And what is v(x,t) defined as? I am not used to this solitonic language so it is hard to follow what is going on.

1. What is meant by the "initial condition effect" in nonlinear PDE of a wave?

The "initial condition effect" refers to the influence of the initial conditions on the behavior and evolution of a wave described by a nonlinear partial differential equation (PDE). It is a crucial factor in understanding and predicting the behavior of a wave over time.

2. How does the initial condition affect the solution to a nonlinear PDE of a wave?

The initial condition determines the starting state of the wave, which in turn affects the entire evolution of the wave. In nonlinear PDE of a wave, the initial condition can significantly alter the shape, amplitude, and speed of the wave as it propagates through space and time.

3. Can the initial condition be changed in a nonlinear PDE of a wave?

Yes, the initial condition can be changed in a nonlinear PDE of a wave. This can be done by altering the boundary conditions, which are used to determine the behavior of the wave at the edges of the domain. Changing the initial condition can lead to different solutions and behavior of the wave.

4. How do initial conditions impact the stability of a solution in nonlinear PDE of a wave?

The initial conditions play a crucial role in the stability of a solution in nonlinear PDE of a wave. In some cases, small changes in the initial conditions can lead to drastic changes in the behavior of the wave, making it unstable. On the other hand, carefully chosen initial conditions can result in a stable and predictable solution.

5. Can the initial condition effect be minimized or eliminated in nonlinear PDE of a wave?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely eliminate the initial condition effect in nonlinear PDE of a wave. However, it is possible to minimize its impact by carefully choosing the initial conditions or by using mathematical techniques such as regularization to reduce the sensitivity to initial conditions. Additionally, studying the behavior of the wave under different initial conditions can help in understanding and predicting its evolution.